Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have long been a fan of Chevelles having an SS 396 in the 70's and finally have been able to purchase another but could use some help from the experts that have been “in the know” I have a 70 Chevelle SS 396 with this onfo:
VIN# 136370A158341
ENG# CE168160
COWEL TAG: ST 70-13637 A 40466 BDY
TR 756 B80 B90 14 14 PNT
04C 313803-240357

And have build sheet info also, an interesting thing about the build sheet is that it was delivered to YENCO CHEVROLET.

One thing odd is that the steering column has a provision for a column shift under the hood and the frame has the mount also for this with a bushing showing signs of wear as if it were a column shift car yet it has buckets and a floor operated auto shift.
I am not sure what info on the build sheet would say buckets or bench, the build sheet VIN matches the car.
Thanks in advance for any help on this and getting me back into Chevelles!

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
The 756 on your trim tag shows that the car was a black bucket seat car from the factory, but it still could of had a column shift. I had an original 70 malibu with buckets and a column shifter, guess the original owner didnt want to spring for the console cost. What you could do is pull your console and check the rear mounting bracket and see if it is spotwelded to the car like factory or mounted differently. If your car is a factory SS, there will be a code on the bottom half with the options and it will say "Z25 SS396 conv" for ss396 conversion. I am pretty sure it is Z25, this is off the top of my head. You cant tell by your engine if the car is an SS, as the CE code is for "chevrolet engine" or "counter exchange" depending on who you ask; basically a warranty replacement engine.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

[This message has been edited by drptop70ss (edited 01-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by drptop70ss (edited 01-14-2002).]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you could do is pull your console and check the rear mounting bracket and see if it is spotwelded to the car like factory or mounted differently.

Thanks I will check that out.

If your car is a factory SS, there will be a code on the bottom half with the options and it will say "Z25 SS396 conv" for ss396 conversion.

Mine says: =ZL3 SS 396 CONVERSN
and listed in the options is =D55 CONSOLE

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
sounds like a factory SS from the buildsheet..the column linkage pieces are probably left over from the backdrive linkage setup for locking the shifter when the column was locked and also possibly for actuating the neurtal safety/backup light switch. Do your reverse lights work?

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now this makes since as the steering wheel will not lock, missing linkage from the trans to the column may be what locks the steering.
Any idea if the recieving Dealer being YENCO has significance, did YENCO modify all the ones they bought or also sold stock SS's?

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Yenko was a Chevy dealership and sold the normal line of Chevrolets. What does the build sheet have for the dealer code number?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the dealer box which is line item #113 it is stamped 898 if that is what you are asking.
It was my understanding that Don Yenco was into racing and owned Yenco Chevrolet and produced some modified cars for sale through the dealership.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
The missing linkage would not keep the steering wheel from locking, it would allow the shifter to be moved from the park position with the ignition switch off and the steering wheel locked. The steering wheel is locked by a pin and lock ring which are under the steering wheel.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drptop70ss:
I am pretty sure it is Z25, this is off the top of my head<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the top of your head.
Check here for things to look for on a 70 Chevelle.

------------------
Dale
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
Not trying to be picky, but it should be spelled "Yenko". Maybe a typo on the sheet (Yenco)?

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your right....it is Yenko Sorry about that Don! And thanks for pointing it out von

[This message has been edited by musclebuff (edited 01-15-2002).]

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Please, enter that car's data in the Chevelle registry and also in our DEALER ZONES and CODES Forum on the HOME PAGE of TEAM CHEVELLE. That number you see in the box ( 898) is the dealer code. and most likely, right next to it should be another number, The ZONE #..a different box most likely.

Thanks
Mike

------------------
MY 66 SS.COM
ACES # 1493
TEAM # 751
MCC # 501
AACA # 112348

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am no expert, and my 72 chevelle is a automatic, but my 69 camaro ss is a 4-spd, and it may be the same. I also have that linkage at the firewall and it is connected to a lever on the frame, then to the reverse gate on my shifter. In order to remove my keys, so the steering wheel will lock, the car has to be in reverse. Your car being and automatic it would have to be in park to remove the keys. The base of your coulum at the dash should still rotate with the lever at the firewall. Check it out.
I went out and ckecked my car. in reverse the lever is up. when i take it out of reverse it goes down and the ignition swich will not go to the lock position. you should see the same condition on your car if you just manualy rotate the coulum from inside the car. This is just my experiance with my car and i do not own a 70.. sounds like your just missing the linkage. also sounds like you have yourself a very nice car. hope this helps. good luck

[This message has been edited by john dane (edited 01-15-2002).]

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
I have to agree that the lever on the column was for the back drive linkage and NOT for a column shift.
Starting with the 69 models (first year for the ignition switch to be in the column), ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL floor shifted cars (auto or 4sp) had linkage connecting the column to the tranny shifter so that when the floor shifter was placed in Park (auto) or reverse (4sp), the collar on the steering column was rotated so that the key could be turned to the lock position and removed. MANY of us, especially 4sp owners, removed the lever between the column and frame so that it wasn't necessary to always shift into reverse just to be able to remove the key from the ignition.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 66 MYSTERY CHEVELLE:
Please, enter that car's data in the Chevelle registry and also in our DEALER ZONES and CODES Forum on the HOME PAGE of TEAM CHEVELLE. That number you see in the box ( 898) is the dealer code. and most likely, right next to it should be another number, The ZONE #..a different box most likely.

Thanks
Mike

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Mike that Zone is 13 but the Chevelle registry confuses me in that it asks for Building Dealer and Selling Dealer??
Wouldn't the builder be GM and the seller be the dealer that the car was charged to?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks John and DZAUTO for confirming I am missing shift interlock linkage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike...I see the Team Chevelle Registry differs from the one at: http://www.yenko.net/misc/registration.htm where I was going to list only because the car was charged to Yenko Chevrolet.
From what I have learned so far there are no COPO or YENKO 70 Chevelles but I am researching because this one is a non A/C with an unusual (427) number listed on the build sheet. Kinda hoping I would get lucky! Or if at least it may be worth a little more with Yenko being the selling dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
That's right, nobody is the same as TEAM CHEVELLE....we need to have that car listed in OUR CHEVELLE REGISTRY. and the dealer and Zone in our ZONE registry...if you don't mind?

Click on this link for the ADD YOUR DEALER and ZONE info:

http://chevelles.com/cgi-bin/webdata/webdata_Dealer_Zone.cgi?cgifunction=user

You may have the DEaler ZONE registry mixed up with the Chevelle Registry which is to capture specific data on your car: http://www.chevelles.com/registry/1970.html

------------------
MY 66 SS.COM
ACES # 1493
TEAM # 751
MCC # 501
AACA # 112348

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.