Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '71 SS, I had the round gauges, but it was the idiot light package with a dummy clock. This week I am doing gauge conversion to the tach/gauges and a real, stock clock. I'd rather not pull my dash off and just put it back on again and drive it a while then pull it back off just to check, so thought I would ask, but would my wiring harness have a provision for a connector to the clock for power? Or, is there a connector to the dummy clock already for power that just doesn't really do anything but will readily go into the real clock? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
No need to buy a clock harness. The SS dash harness has the clock power wire.

I assume you know about the dash harness changes needed when replacing a light SS dash with the full gauge dash.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to bring this back up again, but I got delayed from when I asked the question to when I actually pulled the gauge cluster out. I've converted the gauges, in the manner of installing the actual gauges in the cluster. That went well. I used new repro gauges but an original clock from something in the Chevelle/Elky/Monte Carlo family.

Since I had a dummy clock first, there wasn't a connector, so should there be a wire just hanging out somewhere (possibly close to the clock area) with a connector on the end of it? Any ideas on the color?

I'm wondering if for some reason just incase there isn't one, is it possible to jerry-rig something to give it 12 volts (or what it needs) at all time to keep it running?

Also, thanks for the link to M & H, but the only clock harness I see is for sweep speedo.

Rest of conversion seems pretty simple, it's mainly a matter of moving wires to different locations in the main plug to the cluster (says the directions.) Easy, but tedious.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Hey fellow Oky,

I switched mine to SS, my topic is full of problems (and I bought the right harness
) and it had the clock lead but as I expected the clock doesnt work...

I'm much more worried about no temp gauge, no high beam indicator, tach that still sometimes freezes at 3 grand and wont go past 4200 yet, and a speedo that is nuttier than I am after all this wiring

to top it off my $200 cd player decided to die on me...never fails that everytime I get some extra cash...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts