Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 Chevelle and the clock doesn't work. All the other guages on the dash work. Any suggestions on where to find the problem before I rip the dash apart?

------------------
Ken

·
Lifetime Founding Member
328 Posts
You can remove the dash pad by removing 6 screws along the fron edge of the pad. Then check for power at the clock terminals. One should have 12V.

It's probably the clock. I know mine does not work either.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'd be shocked if it DID work!
Seriously, most of these clocks stopped keeping time a long time ago. They actually have a main spring which is wound up by the "kick back" operation of a set of contacts and an electromagnet. This electromagnet is hooked up with a mechanical linkage to the main spring. Every 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, the contacts come together causing the electromagnet to pull the linkage, rewinding the main spring. Usually, through the years, the contacts stick, burning out the coil, or the original lubricant turns to "glue" seizing the clock mechanism. First, check the clock fuse. If that's ok, reach up behind the clock and remove the power connector. Check to see if you have 12 volts at the connector with either a test light or a DVM, using the car body as ground. If you have 12 volts there, then it's time for a clock overhaul.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
540,000+ miles on car.
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I had my clock converted to a quartz movement by Instrument Services, Inc. in Roscoe IL. They also replaced the stem and knob which was missing. I'm sure they will sell you a knob. They are at 800 558-2674

I just had my clock restored by 'the clockworks'. They have original or quartz movement. NOS Borg movement also available. Price for original was under 50.00 I was happy with the service(one day turn around) Phone 800-398-3040, clockwrks.com, 1745 META LAKE RD, EAGLE RIVER WI 54521

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
155 Posts
My clock didn't work in my '69 either. It still doesn't tell time but it does tell me how fast my motor is running

Bob

[This message has been edited by RDJunc (edited 04-15-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts