Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my wife's 70 SS recently, I noticed that the fuse for the clock was missing. I popped a new one in and the clock began working fine. Unfortunately, after being in the garage for less than 48 hours, the battery was completely dead when I went out to start it today.

I have therefore pulled the clock fuse again -- but would certainly like to get things working properly...

I've had the battery tested and it was fine according to the AutoZone machine. Any ideas at what I should be looking at to see what might be putting a drain on the battery when that fuse is in? Anyone know what else is on that same fuse?

Thanks!

- John...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Must be something else along with the clock. Shouldn't kill a fresh battery in 2 days. Do you have one of those test lights yet? Need one.
1, Remove the clock fuse again.
2, Disconnect the negative battery cable.
3, Attach the test light between the negative (-) battery post (one lead of test light) and the removed battery cable (other lead of test light).

The light should not light even dimly because nothing should be on in the car. If it doesn't light reinstall the fuse but pull the clock connector and repeat the above test.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
In a pinch you can do the same test using just a tail light bulb. Just remove the neg cable, then hold the contact on the bottom of the bulb against the neg post and touch the brass part of the bulb with your neg cable.

·
Registered
414 Posts
the clock in my '66 will drain my batter after a few days of not running, i disconnected mine, i have a watch

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you have a multimeter check how much current the clock is drawing. It may be drawing more than when it was new thus draining you battery faster. Just a thought.
Steve

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The ONLY time the clock should be drawing current is when it "winds up". There's a good possibility that the coil inside the clock which acts as an electromagnet has many shorted turns decreasing its resistance and, hence, draws much more current than it should. I once measured the current draw of a new/in the box clock for Coppertop, but I've forgotten what the final figure was! DOH!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
There are other devices supplied by the clock fuse. Check to make sure that all lights are off. Like the dash compartment (glove box) or the trunk light if equipped. There could also be other items attached to the fuse. If anything is connected to the terminal next to the fuse like underdash courtesy lights or ? It's more likely that the battery is being drained by a light that's staying on.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Good chance you may have fixed the battery draining problem by changing out the bad alternator. Do the test with the negative cable off and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
My glove box light will kill my battery in a couple hours! New alternator is in my future. I just hope to get around to it before I start meeting up with all the local tow truck operators... ;)

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Cecil:
My glove box light will kill my battery in a couple hours! New alternator is in my future. I just hope to get around to it before I start meeting up with all the local tow truck operators... ;)
Any one of these are easier than worrying about a tow truck. If your battery has some charge, your engine usually starts easily, and it's close to stock, these will get you going...Providing the alternator is putting out something to keep the engine going.
http://www.automotive-battery-chargers.com/boosters.html

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Thanks John! My car starts easily, so one of these would be just the thing!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts