Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks what volume of solids does a good quality clear coat have? Also what other qualities should one be looking for in the clear coat you would want to use? As always thanks for any info.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Best to ask for a recommended brand for clarity and flow. Many members here highly recommend SPI (Southern Polyurethanes Inc.) primers and clears. I personally use Matrix MS-42 clear due to a local supplier's recommendation.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I use HC2104 Tamco clearcoat on most everything I spray. High solid clearcoat. Lays down nice,cuts and buffs easily and durable. All the benefits of high dollar clears at a reasonable price.Used by many on the autobody101 forums.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Great question. I’m about to buy BC/CC for my 67. I think I’ll likely go with Omni BC. Obviously Omni CC would work fine, is there a better option in that price range? I’ll check Tamco. Any other options in the lower half of the price range?
If I’m going to be honest with myself the car will probably be a garage queen, so ultimate durability is probably overkill if that comes with a premium price.
Also people use terms like high solid, euro clear, glamour, universal etc. what going to be most forgiving to spray?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've used omni basecoat in the past and found you have to use twice the amount to get good coverage, which turns out to be no bargain. Just my 2cents worth.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks for the input. I called around my local stores and the prices varied wildly. The place I’ve gotten most of my supplies at sells Valspar. I haven’t seen a lot of reviews that were recent and the older ones weren’t very good. I think they also sell Wanda but only water borne and HOK which I think is overkill. I also have a FinishMaster store.
One other store had great prices on the Omni. Hundreds less for the whole thing (BC and Cc) than other stores. Maybe I’ll see what else they carry. It’ll be bolero red over white epoxy so not sure if that makes it harder or easier to cover.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Seems like white may be tough to cover. Use sprayout cards to see what it takes to get proper coverage, and let that guide you in your material purchase quantity.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I've used omni basecoat in the past and found you have to use twice the amount to get good coverage, which turns out to be no bargain. Just my 2cents worth.
Omni is cheap because it has about half the available tints and the metallic is different. PUrity of the tints is also off. For example, straight black 9700 in omni has a very noticeable brown hue, next to 9700 in DBC it's a different color.
Coverage is terrible, one can apply 3-5x the additional costs over say DBC, not much of a savings.

The cheaper clear coats will lack the UV protection and clarity.
They normally will have an urine like hue vs the cleaner clear.

honestly, i would go with SPI universal for clear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I ended up using SPI universal clear. I don't really have much to make comparison with, but it was easy to use as a novice. It's a softer clear and takes a long time to harden up, especially since I sprayed 4 coats (they recommend the car be out in the sun for as long as possible), but what's nice about it is you can sand it down and buff it easily. Since I didn't have the top-rated equipment, I spent more time on the sanding/buffing stage. Not bad for a first-time all-around paint job:

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info, always interesting to hear about stuff your trying to learn.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
If there is no metallic in the red, you could use a single stage urethane. sands and polishes like BC/CC at half the material costs. I did a '68 in white with PPG Concept with excellent results.

Reactions: RR24

·
Registered
340 Posts
Forgiving Tamco for the novice would be 4100. 2104 is higher solids, but is trickier to spray good because it's thick and if your not used to it, will leave peel. Tends to want to be "hammered on" as Tammy used to put it. 4100 is a good solid clear that works for about anything. Find their FB group and read a while, also, the Tamco website has good info. Also, spi as said above, is good quality as well. Best of luck to you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts