Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some nice belts that are very dirty. I've read here about putting them in the top rack of the dishwasher, and that seems to be the best way to do it. Will it hurt the buckles, which are black plastic? Do I just blow them dry when done? I'd like to hear from anybody who has done this. Thanks.

------------------
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483
Team Chevelle #32 Gold
1968 Chevelle 427/390hp, 700R4, 3.31 12 bolt
1970 El Camino, got glass in it now, aligned and driveable, bodywork is STILL continuing.
1970 Malibu survivor, Astro Blue, 350/350 temporary car, fixing for a friend:)

·
0 Posts
Im doing this tonight actually. I am taking my belts apart though.(removing latches). I'm dying mine from green to black.

------------------
Michael

T.C. member # 758
ACES member # 4292

69 malibu convertible
69 malibu h/t 307/pg
<<this space reserved for 66/67 chevelle BB/4spd>>
01 gmc sierra

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
It's been said before, but you won't believe the difference a good cleaning will make on your belts. I filled a paint bucket 1/2 way up with hot water, added about 4-5 capfuls of simple green, threw all the belts (not the retractors) in the mix, and stirred it for about 5 minutes. The water gets REALLY dirty. Scrubbed the belts with a stiff brush (like a tire brush) to get the stubborn dirt out, and left the belts in overnight. Rinsed them with clean water the next day until the soap residue was gone, let them air dry for a while, and reinstalled them. They look so much better, and really feel like new. It's very easy to do so I recommend it.

------------------
Tony Nausieda
1970 SS 396 L34
1966 SS 396, ex-drag car
1977 Caprice, roller SB406
1965 Le Mans, 469cubes and F.A.S.T. EFI

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I cleaned a set of belts three night ago,I didnt want to go as far as taking the buckels off and letting them soak so I got a can of foaming carpet cleaner and srayed it on thick and let it set in and scrubbed them real good with a stiff bristle brush.It softened them up alot and they look 100% cleaner,I guess thats an easy way to do it.

[This message has been edited by 69SSpost (edited 01-28-2003).]

·
Registered
314 Posts
I used a 5 gal bucket with mixed with purple cleaner (super clean?) by Castrol...

Left them in for 1 week in my basement. NO buckles or plastic just belts and male buckle. Came out like new.. water was so nasty.

Took them out and used a hose to rinse out.

Most did not require a touchup after all the dirt was gone. Only the ones that were faded badly.

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES
JODY'S 71 or Peach State Chevelles

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I took the plastic buckles and buttons off mine, then tied one pair of belts at a time in a pillow case, and threw them in the washing machine. Didnt try the dryer though, just hung them up to dry. They turned out like new, soft and clean.

------------------
Jon N.

[This message has been edited by dyno jonn (edited 01-28-2003).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts