Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Chevy Camaro, that uses Dexcol antifreeze. After 267,000 miles I have a head gasket leak. The problem is the head gasket leaked coolant into the oil. When I removed the valve covers, the bottom of the valve covers are coated with this white milky solution (that famous oil/antifreeze mixture that everyone has heard about so much). I am sure the bottom end is the same as well. I just started removing the heads and intake and I am already thinking about how I can clean this white milky crap from inside of the motor or the bottom end along with the valve covers and everything else. Do you have any suggestions on doing so? I have been told to pour two gallons of mineral spirits through the motor. To reduce the thickness of this white milky crap.
What do you suggest? Have any ideas on making this chore any easier?
Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
13,439 Posts
Mike,

Dont spend too much time worrying about the white froth. First of all, it will slowly go away as the oil and water come out of mixture, even while sitting. All I would do is change the oil and filter, fix the head gaskets, start it and run it for a little while without a load on it, then change the oil again. Repeat a few times and you should be good to go. You did not mention which engine but are you certain it was head gaskets and not the intake manifold gaskets ?

If you really want to try running something down through the oil pan while the heads are off, I know some guys use diesel fuel. Just pour a gallon or so down through the lifter valley and let it drain out of the pan. I would absolutely not use any type of engine flush. Most are very strong detergents and will break loose any sludge etc :(

·
Premium Member
12,130 Posts
Mike,

Dont spend too much time worrying about the white froth. First of all, it will slowly go away as the oil and water come out of mixture, even while sitting. All I would do is change the oil and filter, fix the head gaskets, start it and run it for a little while without a load on it, then change the oil again. Repeat a few times and you should be good to go. You did not mention which engine but are you certain it was head gaskets and not the intake manifold gaskets ?

If you really want to try running something down through the oil pan while the heads are off, I know some guys use diesel fuel. Just pour a gallon or so down through the lifter valley and let it drain out of the pan. I would absolutely not use any type of engine flush. Most are very strong detergents and will break loose any sludge etc :(
Bill

Is at any time motor flush recommended?

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
change the oil a few times, and it should be good to go.
if you change the oil regularly and don't use the cheapest house brand oil you find at the dollar store, there is no need for any kind of a flush.

·
Super Moderator
13,439 Posts
Bill

Is at any time motor flush recommended?
Not by me. All that stuff does is break loose all of the junk that is hiding in the oil passages waiting to clog up a lifter or kill some bearings.

The guys that run real professional automotive shops call it "wallet" flush, because that is all it really does.

Just my opinion,

·
Premium Member
12,130 Posts
Not by me. All that stuff does is break loose all of the junk that is hiding in the oil passages waiting to clog up a lifter or kill some bearings.

The guys that run real professional automotive shops call it "wallet" flush, because that is all it really does.

Just my opinion,
Interesting.

I have never used it.

Heard of it.

I have seen my Uncle pour diesel four down the in the lifter valley like your talking about.

My co worker uses that motor flush in his Salleen, Parnelli Jones, Stang.....UGHHHH

BTW, every heard of "Horsepower by Hedrick" in Jacksonville, Fl?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,

Bill,
Thank you for posting I appreciate you taking the time and answering my post.
I am working on a 231cid (3.8L I hate to say because I hate measuring motors in anything except cubic inches), 2000 camaro. I did a compression check before I took the top end apart, the number 2 cylinder wouldn't hold pressure, the rest were strong and held. I was hoping it was just an intake manifold gasket but I couldn't get that lucky. Plus this couldn't happen in the spring time when the weather was nice, did I tell you that I am not that lucky?
Again, thank you for posting, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dgcurrier, thank you for posting I didn't know that. I will stay away.

RB69SS396Conv, thank you for the information, very interesting read, thank you!

Everyone thank you for posting, I am always open for new ideas or suggestions.
Thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts