Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to clean gas and oil stains off an aluminum intake? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Mag wheel cleaner.
Spray the mag wheel cleaner on let it sit then hose it off.
The only other way is to glass bead it.

Dave

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,845 Posts
:cool: After you've cleaned it you might want to paint it with AlumaBlast -- it'll look just like a brand new cast aluminum intake, and the paint seals the aluminum making it far easier to clean up next time.

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Never tried it, but also have heard to use de-natured alcohol.

As far as the Alumi-blast, not something I'd do, as I've yet to see any aluminum paint that looks good, JMO.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Paint it Chevy orange!

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
Whats the best way to clean gas and oil stains off an aluminum intake? Thanks.
Mag wheel cleaner.
Spray the mag wheel cleaner on let it sit then hose it off.
The only other way is to glass bead it.

Dave
I've use Bleech-White...yea the tire stuff. works great on your hoses too.
Just do not get it on POLISHED Aluminum.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
My L78 intake was glass beaded back in 1998. To keep it clean, I just use brake cleaner and a brass bristled brush. Works fine for me all these years.

·
Registered
811 Posts
The newer Dupli-coler cast-blast aluminum paint looks great and is very close to what a blasted intake looks like. I bought a blasted intake from a swap meet and painted it with it and it was almost hard to tell that it was painted. Now keep in mind blasted intakes tend to be a bit lighter that a fresh out of the box intake.

On my new intake i bought for my big block, I took it straight to the powder coater to do. They had a color that is supposidly approved by Harley for warranty work on their bikes. Its a cast aluminum color and it looks fantastic---almost hard to tell where the powder coating ends and the aluminum begins. If you have the extra $$$ look into powder coating, it'll probably outlast you.

Also just some normal cleaning helps a bunch too. Just basically wiping down the engine regularly will help a bunch to keep it clean. I prefer a very lightly oiled rag on everything except chrome as it tends to give just a light layer of oil to keep things nice---its just what has worked for me over the years---but also too, I paint or powdercoat everything. The oiled rag on a bare intake might just make more of a mess.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,794 Posts
Check this out

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/

My buddy swears by these things, he followed the instructions and made one, the nozzles are about $2.00 at the chinese tool store. I am going to make one and do my own intake.
I use a Sears sandblast gun with the hose stuck in a box of Arm & Hammer. Works great on alum intakes (off the engine). Makes them look fresh cast. Plus no worries about glass beads getting into engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts