Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my points out and cleaned them. I also scraped the terminals on the dist cap. Wiped off the rotor. Motor was running rough idle before. Now won't crank at all. I can't get any fire to the plugs anymore. All simple stuff checked. Any suggestions?

1967 Chevelle 350. Points distributor. the points are the 74 type, one piece with the condenser.

------------------
[email protected]
1967 Chevelle Malibu stock 90% original
1965 SS Convertable - rough

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Do you have a dwell meter that you can use to check the points with to make sure that they are opening? I usually set them at 30 degrees.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
296 Posts
JM, I assume when you say it won't crank, you mean it will turn over it just won't fire.

Do you get spark? Put a timing light on see if it lights up as you turn over.

Next check the timing. Did you put the plug wires back on correctly?

If that is OK, check the gas.

I know this sounds very simple, but if the car does not fire at all, it usually is something simple. If you have spark and you have gas and they are in the same spot at the same time it will fire. It may run like crap but it will fire.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you took the points out, you must put them back and adjust them so they at least open and close when the engine spins. Have someone spin the starter while you watch the points.

Once you have it running, set the dwell before you set the timing.

------------------
Regards,
RLK
My Cars

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep - put a new set of points in and it fired up. Still rough idle, maybe even more so now. I don't have a dwell meter, guess I should have though of that before I tried to clean them. Any chance I can set them by ear? Hit and miss kinda thing?

------------------
[email protected]

·
Registered
203 Posts
Borrow or buy a dwell meter. They are cheap and worth it if you run points. Changing the dwell changes the timing so set it first and then check the timing.

I would also adjust your idle mixture and change plugs/wires.

------------------
Regards,
RLK
My Cars

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You can try it by ear but if the motor isn't running right for some other reason it will be difficult. If they are close you can adjust clockwise until it idles rough then back off a 1/4 turn. If it is already rough try counterclockwise and see if it smoothes out then go clockwise until rough idle then back off 1/4 turn.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great tips. I want to get it close to smooth so I can get it moving. Looking for electronic ignition to replace the points. I want it running decent before I change over.

Could the voltage regulator be causing some of my problem?

------------------
[email protected]

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is an update. Used the tips here to set the new points. Car started and ran ruff at first. Turned the points counterclockwise first until it almost quit. Idle got a lot faster as I turned then almost shut down. Figured I was close. Rotated back 1/2 turn and it sounded great. Backed off the idle and all sounds good. Gotta get some tread and breaks so I can see if it will go on pavement now! Thanks everyone.

------------------
[email protected]

The 67 Beast before restore

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
When you finally weary of playing with those points you will be delighted to know that Pertronix makes a very good breakerless ignition that is quite simple to install.

Completely eliminates all the fuss and bother of points. Forever.

Have you tried to find(buy) a dwell meter lately. You can only if you are willing to shell out for a complete engine analyser. They cost WAY more than a Pertronix system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
pertronix is a great product. I have used them in all my cars and all i have to say is that i picked up roughly 2 mpg and 11 hp. Not bad for 25 mins worth of work!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply. I went to the pertronix web site. The ignition you refer to is the modules you bolt in place of the points, right? like $60?

------------------
[email protected]

The 67 Beast before restore

1 - 13 of 13 Posts