Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned the contacts on the horn relay and my external voltage regulator, now when I try to start my 68 Elky, I hear a click then I lose all power for awhile(think I'm tripping the auto reset relay in the headlight switch). after a period of time my power returns but it will do the same thing over. I recheked my connections and they seem tight, can anyone help me try to figure this out? TIA

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The click sound is probably the solenoid trying to engage. The headlight circuit breaker only protects the line going to the headlights. I assume your battery cable connections are clean and tight. Same with the ground connections to both the block and right inside fender. There should be a (+) terminal block near the battery. Perhaps the connection there is bad and when you were moving around wires, that got disturbed. After that I'd pull the meter out and see where the 12 volts is disappearing.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Did you remove a battery cable when you were cleaning the horn relay? Sounds like a bad battery cable connection, every thing works until you pull a lot of current (like starting your car).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts