Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fan shroud is in real solid shape, except it needs to be cleaned. I have tried armor all and several other "cleaners". In general they leave the surface (its a hard plastic material) too greasy and shinny. I'd like it to look bright and black but without the sheen. Am I asking too much? What works?

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
(soon to be TPI)
ACES # 00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038
NCOA #16197

·
Registered
283 Posts
72 EL Camino's rule!!!!!! Well I run a small detailing business from my home and I'm also always brightening up my car for shows. What I use is an alcohol based glass cleaner. This can be used for plastic and vinyl also, and they leave no shiny residue, and dries fast. It leaves a nice black, burnished look and sounds exactly what your looking for.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I've run across a product at Home Depot called Citrus All Purpose Cleaner. It's made by Zep. It cleans without leaving the Armour All shine you described. It made my fan shroud look like new. It also works as a good degreaser. I used it to clean my inner fenderwell prior to applying POR 15. Be sure to rinse thoroughly. It's a little thick so a little extra rinse water is needed.

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the window cleaner this AM and it worked great. Got the dirt and stains off. Took a little scrubbing but it was well worth the effort. I may try to find the Citrus cleaner next time I'm at the store. Thanx!

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
I've used brake parts cleaner for hoses, plastic parts and the like. Gets off the gunk, leaves no residue and leaves it nice flat color. Used with a a scotch brite pad it will also do wonders on aluminum, carbs, etc.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just don't get Simple Green or the castrol purple stuff on your paint. It is a bad combination.
Not that I would know anything about that sorta thing.

Jody (who has waxed and rubbed and waxed trying to get out the stains on the Tahoes front fenders)

71 SS454

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have used Castrol Super Clean (the purple stuff) to clean parts that just would not come clean using other products. My experience has been that you are pretty safe cleaning plastics/vinyl with this stuff. Painted surfaces are another story. You have to read the directions and dilute this stuff per the instructions. This stuff cleaned/degreased an engine about 100 times better and faster than any other product I tried.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I also have a 1972 El Camino. I used laquer thinner and prep sol on mine. It was very greasy and dirty, now it looks like new. I would recommend you use extreme caution and do not let the thinner sit in one place on the plastic for any period of time. If you choose to use this method, test it on a hidden area. Warning this may dull the finish of the plastic. Laquer Thinner will eat plastic. Past all of this it is the best cleaner you can use, but maybe the most harmfull also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If that citrus stuff is the same thing I bought at HD be careful. I just looked at the bottle and its called citrus grease and oil remover. I used it to remove some grease from the inside of a windshield in my daughters car that I just couldn't seem to get off. Some of it dripped on the plastic and started eating little pin holes in it even though I diluted it with water. I figure it must be mostly acetone. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Good reminder Doug, don't use any product on clear plastic without testing it first. I'm recommending the Citrus product for under hood use only.

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 06-20-99).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.