Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinkin bout shaving the door handles on my 71. has anyone done this before and are there any cons in doing this?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I haven't done it, but have a friend who did, and I hear a lot regret it. I thought about it myself and chickened out.

The cons include needing a way to have an alternate way in, if the primary system fails, battery goes dead, etc.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Ive thought about it on some projects but have never done it for the above reasons. I am not a big fan how the stock handles look. However, I think my next project will so some c5 vette handles or really change it up and do some aston martin DB9 handles, I have never seen anyone use those, but they really do looke nice (on the aston martin at least). Ah damn a miss driving the DB9 even over the lambo.. But that is a whooole other story

·
Registered
121 Posts
I shaved the handles on my 70, I used a universal choke cable run through the drivers side inner fender well through the door and connected to the inside door mechanism for emergencies. I did it originally to be different but having been to several shows and cruz ins I have found that ALOT of people have done this to their Chevelles also so I'm not as different as I thought. I will replace the shaved handle look for flush mounted handles off a newer car when ever I get around to repainting my car.
heres what mine looks like

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I vote leave the handles but kill the doorkey lock. Thats the thing that throws me off when I look at the car. I like the handles but the lock looks like a mole or pimple being seperated completely from the handle assembly. Just another thought.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Oh man,,,, I thought this was about something else:D
You're not the only one, man!

Actually, I'm not much into the shaven door handles on chevelles. I do think it would look cool on 4 door though, with just the rear doors done, leaving the fronts stock.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
if its a dd you will totally regret it. i personally love the look of shaved handles. although, i will agree that the chevelle handles look better than any other handle out there and im not into the flush mount handles.

my vote; weekend driver / shave them..... dd / keep them

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
What about just shaving the lock? I think it cleans it up, alot. But you still have some type of mechanical entry that won't fail if you're battery dies.

For the lock, you can use an electrical actuator to lock/unlock the factory hardware. That way you can still "pop" the lock if the battery dies.
I agree but only cause I posted it above already. :D

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
yep those are the handles im talkin about (see pic above) has anyone ever seen them retrofited on a hot rod?

·
Gold Founding Member
5,827 Posts
Replace them with a set off a 70 Grand prix, very different and they dont stick way out from the body.
Ron

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Ive got a set of doors with 2000-2001 bonneville rear door handles installed, same thing as the C5 vette.
Even thou the handles loos the same on the outside they are somewhat different on the backside, the bonneville proved to be the most compact and easier to install.

With this style of handle you will need the handle recess area of the door. The vette being SMC material wont bond to the chevelle's metal door, but any GM car with that style of handle works. If I remember right I have one metal recess from a front door off a 99 malibu and the other is off a grand prix rear door.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.