Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If they were giving an award for cleanest old axle, I would have to win! I have wire brushed and cleaned every inch of my axle looking for the stamped code on the thing. I cannot locate anything at all on the axle itself.
I found these numbers on the "punkin". GM55(pass. side front)...F168(pass. side rear)...3917123NF(drv. side front)...CON1(?) (drv. side rear)... 2.56 ?
Will these numbers help or do I just need to pull the cover and start counting? Thank you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You need to pull the cover anyway. sometimes the numbers you are looking for are stamped on the ring gear. In this case I think you should have started with pulling the cover, it sure would have been easyer(and cleaner). you cannot trust axel codes in a thirty year old car that has had more than one owner.
Harley

·
Registered
567 Posts
Found my #'s on all my 70's- 72's on the right fwd. side axle tube. I would also pull the cover and count the ring and pinion gears. Then do the math.

------------------
Jungle Jim #105 Gold
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
"Fight the good Fight every moment, every minute,every day. Make it worth the price you pay!"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your advice. I'm headed out to pull the cover and see what I come up with. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
What kind of numbers are on the axle? I only know of the ones stamped on the axle housing.

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.