Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
They work great. Used to be, I waxed my everyday driver and it still felt like sandpaper when you rubbed your hand over it (even after waxing). Use the clay before waxing, and it's much smoother. I was skeptical before, but am a believer now.

------------------
Bill Pritchard
69 SS396 Convertible
"There's never enough time to do the job properly, but always enough time to do it over."

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
Also, if you pull a wicked bonehead move like spray your trunk with poly clear after detailing and get some overspray or "mist" on your PAINT because of the wind !
they work mint. Used polishing compund and it was ok, but the clay with a little glaze is supposed to work mint.

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 02-13-2001).]

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yup, took all the overspray off of my Monte Carlo after painting some parts and the wind was, well, you know the rest.

------------------
Never be afraid to try something new.
An amatuer built the Arc,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used clay at a detail shop and it works great. The type I used had a spray lubricant. After you wet the surface you just rub like crazy. It will take off things like sap and bug guts, but shame on you if you have tree sap on your Chevelle! I would recommend it, as it produces an extremely smooth surface to wax/polish. Good luck

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
are all brands the same ..
which are recommended
how is it used?
wet / dry? precleaned/prewashed??
wax after cleaning with clay??
(i presume clay is simply a cleaning agent??)

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
70, the clay is pretty much the same with all manufacturers, and it SHOULD come with a lubricant spray in the kit, like a quick wash detailer spray to keep the clay gliding smoothly over the surface of the paint. In fact you will be using it and it will feel like the clay is not even coming in contact with the surface, but it is. Do not push the clay down to hard, this will leave smudge marks, and will take some rubbing to remove it. Just use a good amount of spray, and keep a damp terry towel to wipe off excess. All of this should be done after you wash the paint, and after you are done, wax it, because all surface wax will be removed as well. The end results are very smooth and a great surface to wax or buff on, good luck with it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have used the Mother's California Gold on several cars, and the results are AMAZING!!! I even recently used it on a 91 RS Camaro that I am partnering on the sale of, and the car legitimately came out of a junkyard, and the paint came smooth as hell and looks fantastic too. This stuff is for real try it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.