Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my cig lighter functional ( for Gtech and cell phone - not smokes - bitch to quit). The lighter or accessory plug will not stay in the hole. Do I simply bend the tabs inside up a little or.....?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Are you sure its the 'correct' lighter? You can get the entire original unit from just about any resto place (check Ground Up first, though
). If you don't really care about originality, just functionality, the even places like Wal-Mart sells lighter units for about $7 - $12. Good luck!

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
Team Chevelle #298
1972 Chevelle

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeremy, no doubt original. In fact after I cleaned it out with contact cleaner, I wizzed a 12 ga bore brush in there to really clean it up. Again, functions well, but you have to hold the plug in or else it loses contact. Figured a quick fix. I'll just try what I had in mind and if I break it, no big shakes.

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
Gene, spreading the tabs will probably fix it. It is hard to say what might have been shoved in the hole over the last 30+ years. Not all lighters are the same size and there is a lot "use a bigger hammer" mentality in this world. If you have a console in your car you might consider putting a lighter inside of it to plug in your cell phone. It keeps it out of site from the "not so honest" folks that love using others phones.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Gold Member #42
Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phil, right. I'll consider a second 12v source in the console since I have to wire up my clock and the lights anyway. Must run a "boombox" line. The AM talk radio doesn;t cut it anymore.

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
AM radio is very retro
the best cure might be louder mufflers, can't beat the sweet sound of a BB. When you reach the "old fart" status (like me) then you get a good CD unit.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phil, I know, my daily has a CD changer. Very nice. But, alas, the 67 remains "uncut" and will remain so. So a portable box is my solution. Better for cruise events anyway. Was really thinking of a 12v lead in the trunk for that.

That's how I'm planning on showing the car. Trunk open, POW/MIA flag display, late 60's tunes playing.

Aw man, I'm posting again!!Gotta stop B4 Al cuts me off.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 03-24-2000).]

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Gene- You might consider, what Ive done with my stereo. I mounted the headunit in my glove box, there's still plenty of room to stuff things in there, and assuming I get the job I interviewed for today, I plan to mount a changer(6 or 10 disk) underneath the big ole bench seat, my interior still looks pretty stock.(The interior pics on my webpage are shots with the stereo installed if you want to take a peek, I can snap some glovebox shots if you'd like)
Good Luck

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
My 65's Homepage
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
i looked and looked on steves sit and could not find a pic of hos radio install HELP

Thanks

------------------
Hot66ss
66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
members.aol.com/chvellss

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hey Tom-
Try this... Thats the best I have, its just the interior pics. You dont notice the stereo install at all. I will try and get some snaps of the glovebox sometime this week so you guys can see how I ran it. What I have for tunes though is the headunit in the glovebox, 2 6"ers on the rear tray(just secured up there not inside, kinda tacky looking) and then I have a simple TV stereo speaker in the trunk that has a couple tweeters and a 12"sub, it actually sounds very good and because I dont have an amp and the trunk was recently resealed, it doesnt rattle a thing it just sounds plain good!(Of course I now cant hear the bass very well at all with the hooker headers and early 90's style 2 chamber flows!
)

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
My 65's Homepage
Team Chevelle Member #71

1 - 11 of 11 Posts