Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed the outer door on my GM Cowl Induction hood (for 72). the vacuum actuator pod mount has 4 mounting holes, 2 in the front and 2 in the back. the 2 in the front line up with 2 weld nuts on the hood, but the 2 in the back line up with 2 holes (5/16" dia.) at the rear of the hood. it seems to me like somebody at GM forgot a couple weld nuts. the metal here is too thin for a sheet metal screw big enough to fit a 5/16" hole. the outer door kit i bought didn't include the pod bracket to hood hardware, so i don't know for sure how the rear of the bracket is supposed to attach to the hood.

with no way to get behind the hole, i had to use something like a liscense plate fastener w/ washer to attach the rear side of the mounting bracket. this creates a 1/8" gap between the hood & bracket.

i shimmed the flapper door brackets so that both the front and back of the door will be flush with the rest of the hood. flow control valve also properly installed.

now the problem: with the engine running, the door closes too far-- the back of the door is a little more than 1/8" below flush with the hood! is there anything i can do about this?

thanks in advance, john

[This message has been edited by vimlesh (edited 02-19-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Look at your flapper door hinges and you will see an integrated bracket with a tapped hole in it. This is for an adjustment screw and locknut wich can limit the travel of the door. Don't have a part # but I'm sure you can find a small bolt/jamnut that will work fine.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!

I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
another shot of Ol Paint

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh! so that's what those two extra threaded holes are for. i was wondering why there was no adjustment for where the door stops. i was afraid i'd have to find some other way to mount the pod bracket.

THANKS!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.