Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cowl induction and a TH400. The TH uses the accelerator switch to activate the kickdown switch. Now I just got the CI wiring harness and it replaces the TH connectors because it uses the same switch. How does the TH get its signal now? The CI wiring has the terminals for the CI relay and a single tan wire that then runs to the CI solenoid. Doesn't seem to do anything for the TH. How do I hook up both?

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Jody
I'm not that familiar with the cowl induction wiring (but I'll try anyway). But if the cowl induction uses the same transmission control switch (downshift switch) as the 400, my guess is the CI system activates at the same time as the downshift of the 400.
I'm guessing without the CI wiring diagram but maybe it's possible to piggy back the original 400 wires on the new CI connector and use the downshift switch to operate both systems.
Don't take my word for it. Check things out first. I think the detent switch gets grounded as you depress the pedal. May not be the way the CI system runs. If nobody else has a far better answer, take some measurements and post back. May have to add a relay or something.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a relay for the CI wires but nothing that gets back to the harness for the TH400.. That I can see.

I don't believe they are supposed to be piggy backed. Although one end of the harness has piggy's installed its the end that you plug into the fusebox IGN and ACC plugs.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JodySirmans:
There is a relay for the CI wires but nothing that gets back to the harness for the TH400.. That I can see.

I don't believe they are supposed to be piggy backed. Although one end of the harness has piggy's installed its the end that you plug into the fusebox IGN and ACC plugs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree that the harness you bought was not designed to be piggy backed. My guess is that it was layed out for use with a THM 350 or a manual in the car.
Your question was how to hook both things up (CI and the 400 downshift). I'll try and work with you, if nobody has better ideas. Somehow, unless you can think of a way to add a second switch, the wires need to be cut and soldered.

·
Premium Member
7,024 Posts
The factory put a supplemental harness on the kickdown switch, which is nothing more than a short shunt with two piggy-tails. It essentially does what John advocates. In other words, both the TH400 kickdown and the inner air door operate off of the same switch. I'll take a digital picture for you if you need.

------------------
TCG #31
ACES #931
NCOA {who cares now?}

My amateurish page
My oldest post*
*Archived Tech Reference requires Team Membership.

For Sale:
----------------------------------
'72 GMC Sprint
'70 Chevelle (for parts or rebuilder)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alan please send me a pic if you can. I understand that both operate off the same switch but I sure didn't want to cut up a new M&H harness... I thought that the CI harness would take care of both since it was to connect to the same switch. Is the supplemental harness sold as well, I don't recall one being available. I just want it to be right not rigged. It was rigged when I got the car.. Thats why every harness had to be replaced to begin with. Thanks

Jody

[This message has been edited by JodySirmans (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
446 Posts
Jody your harness is definitely for a 4 speed car. I had the same problem with my car and just sent the harness back and got the correct one and installed it. The cowl induction harness for a TH400 car does indeed have a piggy back wire on the kickdown switch connection.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Jody
Guess I won't get any beer over the email on this one. Something tells me you still owe me one from last year. Might be wrong, I'm lousy with names.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info RC I'll call NPD and see what they say. I already have a bone to pick with them about some other things wrong with my order..the first and possibly the last.

John .. I do recall owing the cool one! Just haven't ran into you yet...
So....

|^^^^|
|^^^^|=
|.........| "
|.........| "
|.........|=
|_____|

But we may be struggling on this one... Alan is going to send some pics tonight. I'll let you know what NPD says about the two..

[This message has been edited by JodySirmans (edited 08-01-2001).]

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys I just got off the phone with M&H..

Very interesting conversation...

1. They don't sell to NPD (National Parts Depot) for those who don't know..
2. The CI harness they make has the pigtails on it to plug in both the CI & TH. RC he also said that there is only one harness for both auto's or manuals. He mentioned that as far as he knows they are the only wiring guys that make it with the correct pigtails added.

Seems I've been duped even more so by NPD.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JodySirmans:

Seems I've been duped even more so by NPD.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
So why not just return the one you have and buy what you want anyway? They didn't say they won't take it back, did they? Bet you are the first person to bring it to their attention. I admitted up front that I was not very experienced with CI harnesses. Did get smarter and a little tipsy after this post.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Jody... All my wiring harnesses except the cowl induction harness came from M&H. The C.I. harness I bought from a local distributer and I can't remember the name on the package. It does have the correct pigtails though, so the guy at M&H was wrong about that. Also NPD must be ordering from this other company because you already got one without the pigtails. It only makes sense to have two different harnesses though.
The pigtailed wires are hooked to the end of the C.I. harness and connect to the kickdown switch behind the gas pedal,to operate the inner C.I. door, then the TH400 kickdown wires connect into the remaining pigtails. Why would a manual shift car need these extra set of wires? They wouldn't.

G

·
CAN ANYONE HELP ME BY FAXING ANYTHING THAT MAKES CLEAR HOW TO CONVERT CAR FROM TH350 TO TH400 (KICK DOWN SPEAKING). I HAVE THE BRACKET AND SWITCH BY THE GAS PEDAL. WHAT OTHER COMPONENTS SUCH AS RELAYS AND WIRES ARE NECESSARY. CAN SOMEONE BRAKE IT DOWN INTO A LEDGEBAL WIRING DIAGRAM WITH WIRE COLORS AND COMPONENTS LISTED OF EVERYTHING INVOLVED INCLUDING HOW ANY WIRES SPLICE INTO THE EXISTING HARNESS. THIS IS FOR A 1970 CHEVELLE WAGON. THANKS PETE [email protected]

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again Thanks everyone...I think I'll nip this one in the bud. I also received the wrong & backordered console harness from NPD last night. So in light of all this...

I'm going to be sending a box back to NPD. The console harness that came last night had American Wiring as the Company.

Pete - Most of the 400 wiring is embedded in the engine & dash harness's.. You will need the 400 harness that attaches from the switch to the engine harness (tan & orange wires). Thats about the best I can do, heck the wiring diagrams don't even show some of these connections.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts