Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get Chrome paint pens? I received a repop dash bezel from Ground Up for Christmas, and as everyone, I was disappointed at the "silver" paint used in place of Chrome. I have looked on Testors and Eastwoods web sites and could not find a Chrome color.

Regards,

------------------
Steve Haraway
1971 Chevelle SS

·
Registered
120 Posts
try your local art supplies/model making/crafts store.

------------------
jason pollock
66 el camino
s.c.c.c.c #411
T.C.# 1954
n.e.c.o.a

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
FYI- I have yet to find a clear coat that will go over any chrome or silver paint without messing it up.

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
Even the "chrome" paint is glorified silver paint. There are two solutions: have the piece chromed or use Bare Metal Foil to "chrome" the areas you want to make "chrome". I've done some experiments with the metal foil technique that turned out pretty decent.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Bare Metal works great, but you willl need a steady hand when trimming it out (I usually ask my Buddy Weiser for help
). Just don't try to cover a larger area, it tends to form bubbles under the foil if the car sits in the sun.

C

·
0 Posts
Where can I find Bare Metal Foil? Is it suited for use on interior plastic? Lastly how do you use, i.e. glue it on, heat shrink?
Thanks
Just one more thing to add to my restoration "kit bag"

------------------
Dale
Team Chevelle #1969
rear-qtr-view
eng
front-qtr

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Dale, You can buy it at most hobby shops. I believe it is shelf sticking. They say they part you are using it on has to be super clean.
There was a post awhile back where someone redid there dash using it,but don't remember who. Also there are some model builders on this site that also used it with good results. maybe they'll chime in. Jim

------------------
REDS CHEVY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts