Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
I take the little 90° grinder with a brown 3m surface disk and hit it {not grind it all off but make it rougher} and assemble with permatex right stuff in the corners

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about on chrome oil pan, with permadry one piece gasket (the one that says not to use sealer). Im just worried about it bubbling if it gets to hot and screwing up the seal. Thanks for the input

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
One piece just put it up CLEAN AND DRY with the polished finished roughed up a little with and paper or anything that will do it

·
Premium Member
16,843 Posts
Chrome leaks. I haven't had one single chrome engine part that didn't leak. I had a chrome front cover on the 350 I dropped in y 86 Cutlass, it leaked. I took it off when I had to swap out the cam, sandblasted it, and painted it...no more leaks. I did the same thing with the front cover on the 440 in the Charger....blasted and painted it. At the very least, as stated, take a 3M surface disc, a 90 degree die grinder and scuff it up.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
I scuff it a little with a sanding sponge. Enough to give the surface a little bite.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
Paul, where do you get the Indian head stuff? I've been looking around up here and they look at me like I'm from a different planet. Guess I'll have to find a 60 year old parts guy who remembers it. Just lately I asked a parts guy for a Chevy rocker arm. He actually had to ask me where it was used. The engine maybe?

·
Registered
68 Posts
He, He!!!!!

Good old Permatex, "Indianhead Shellac Gasket Cement" will stick to anything, including your Johnson if your hands are sticky and you gotta go pee!!

pdq67

I'm not even going to ask how you know that little fact!:D

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Paul, where do you get the Indian head stuff? I've been looking around up here and they look at me like I'm from a different planet. Guess I'll have to find a 60 year old parts guy who remembers it. Just lately I asked a parts guy for a Chevy rocker arm. He actually had to ask me where it was used. The engine maybe?
Brown bottle with a red top, usually sitting around the silicone in parts stores and rolls of gasket material

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Indian head shellack has been arround for eon's and is a very good sealer being resistant to coolent/fuel/oil etc when fully dried/cured ,as Paul states it's GOOD STUFF.

I have seen it in all the auto parts stores in my area but the brown plastic bottles it comes in has white caps on them in NY state where i live a not red caps.

Scott

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Indian head shellack has been arround for eon's and is a very good sealer being resistant to coolent/fuel/oil etc when fully dried/cured ,as Paul states it's GOOD STUFF.

I have seen it in all the auto parts stores in my area but the brown plastic bottles it comes in has white caps on them in NY state where i live a not red caps.

Scott
I just got a bottle about a month ago and it was red, i have seen them with white caps a while back, the last two bottles i bought were red with brown bottle

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts

Scott
:thumbsup:

http://www.getmsds.co.il/20539t.pdf

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
:mad: I use alot of Right Stuff gasket maker too, best i have seen thus far
Yep I buy it buy the case in the 5oz tubes (29208)
Been using it for years on the China Wall, also on some circle track stuff where we do not use a pan gasket at all among other places
Good stuff

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Yep I buy it buy the case in the 5oz tubes (29208)
Been using it for years on the China Wall, also on some circle track stuff where we do not use a pan gasket at all among other places
Good stuff
Thats what i use on intake end seals, I put a bead on then sit the intake with all bolts and just tap the intake and put the engine bag on and let it sit over night then torque the intake and it seals great - Can be hard to get intake off later but it seals great :D

Edit: Im talking about Right Stuff Gasket maker here in this post not Indian head

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.