Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a pretty new ACES member and have a question about the stock fan shroud on my 70 SS 402. I had the original fan and shroud set up and nice aluminum radiator. The car would only rarely overheat, I could live with it. In and attempt to improve the engine’s looks and hp I added a flex fan and chrome shroud. Well the shroud only covers the top of the fan, and needless to say it is overheating pretty easy now. I was wondering if anyone has found a chrome functional shroud, one shaped like the factory plastic one? I will be going back to the plastic shroud and keep trying the flex fan for now, but would love to find a better-looking alternative.
Should I also add an electric fan on the front side just for those days I might get stuck in traffic? BTW, the engine is pretty stout with a pretty good cam and upgraded internals.

Pat
'70 SS396
'99 30th Anni.TA Conv.

·
Registered
834 Posts
What kind of rad are you using? 2 core? If so that ma be your problem. I just put a 454 in my '71 malibu, had a 350 before. I got the rad i had before recored and it is now a 4 core rad (was 2 before). The shroud from the 350 won't fit on my 454. So I am not using a fan shroud at all, yes that's right I am not using a fan shroud. I just have a little 14" electric fan sucking air through the rad, rated at 1250cfm i think and I have never overheated yet. I would take a look at your rad first if you are overheating. Also if your wanting a different fan to save a few horses, then go to an electric.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prior owner installed the radiator, how do you tell if it is 2 core or 4? Every other aftermarket part on the car is is top of the line so I assume that the radiator is the same.

Pat

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Take the rad cap off and look down into the radiator and count the openings you see going across. If there are 2 its a 2 core if there are 3 its a 3 core and so on. Hope this helps

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Open the cap( while it's cold), and look inside.It should have 2 to 4 tits ???or extrusions.I don't know what the exact wording or phrase is.They are the small triangular sections sticking out, with the center of them open.They are in columns, so count these, and that's how big it is.The coolant flows through these and through the radiator, letting the air do the cooling.

------------------
' 72 Malibu project ACES # 1282 Team Member # 427
' 70 C-10 Pickup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.