Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I got a chrome radiator hose goose neck, on my Edelbrock intake after changing the thermostat, and 3 different thermostat gaskets and different sealants it still leaks, any of you guys have any advice? Thanks

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Just say no to chrome goosenecks. Most are made out of Zinc.

Zinc is soft, it bends easily.

·
Premium Member
1966 Chevelle SS396
287 Posts
Yep they're junk. I had one crumble underneath the pressure of the hose clamp once. Bad news.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If it’s leaking at the gasket, I’ve had good luck with this and added a smear of ultra gray rtv if needed. But I agree with the others as it could be leaking at the hose if it’s collapsed. it’s hard to find a quality one anymore. If you go cast iron, VHC makes an aluminum color high temp paint that looks pretty good.

·
Registered
Ryan
452 Posts
Buy an OEM style thermostat housing and use a quality gasket such as a felpro. Use a slight amount of sealer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A couple years ago, I had the same issue with my Mr. Gasket chrome water neck (with "O" ring)...
it started to leak.
Even though I had many years of "leak free" service from this chrome water neck, I decided to replace it with an aluminum water neck with an "O" ring. I installed the Allstar Performance aluminum water neck (part #ALL30173).

Two years since the install of the Allstar aluminum water neck, and no leaks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple years ago, I had the same issue with my Mr. Gasket chrome water neck (with "O" ring)...
it started to leak.
Even though I had many years of "leak free" service from this chrome water neck, I decided to replace it with an aluminum water neck with an "O" ring. I installed the Allstar Performance aluminum water neck (part #ALL30173).
View attachment 717068
Two years since the install of the Allstar aluminum water neck, and no leaks.
That's will work and it looks good

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it’s leaking at the gasket, I’ve had good luck with this and added a smear of ultra gray rtv if needed. But I agree with the others as it could be leaking at the hose if it’s collapsed. it’s hard to find a quality one anymore. If you go cast iron, VHC makes an aluminum color high temp paint that looks pretty good.
Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I used to run the Billit Specialties polishished housing p/n 90320
for many years without a problem. I would still be running it today, but I have since changed the whole look of my engine.

·
Registered
759 Posts
A lot of them bend or are just not flat to start with. I have the cheap GM version above and trued it up on a flat surface with a sheet of sandpaper on it. run it back and forth a few times and it will take any high spots off. I use a Felpro blue gasket and NO sealer. No leaks in many years.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have a Worksharp flat grinder that I fix all those warped chrome t-housings and Holley Accelerator pump housings all the time. Sometimes at the swap meets I well them and make a few bucks.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
My big block came with one. I didn't like the way it looked. I ran it over the wire wheel on my grinder and dulled it up. The under hood so much better.

Make sure you have the o-ring in correctly. Its real easy to screw up...

Where a lot of people make the mistake is over tightening them, then they run the engine and get it real hot and so it bends to the contour of the thermostat opening in the intake manifold..

Ever since I've been using a Stant Superstat I've yet to have a leak at that spot..

·
Premium Member
17,297 Posts
I use Marcus' oem part. Yet since I was running a tripwoer with the front bowl so near the thermo housing, I had it Jet Hot coated.

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
855 Posts
What's a "tripwoer" ???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A lot of them bend or are just not flat to start with. I have the cheap GM version above and trued it up on a flat surface with a sheet of sandpaper on it. run it back and forth a few times and it will take any high spots off. I use a Felpro blue gasket and NO sealer. No leaks in many years.
Thanks alot I will try it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts