Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the classic problem where I can start the car..then turn the key off and actually pull it out and the car still runs. What causes this again? I would like to fix it while on chritsmas break. Thanks for help guys.

------------------
66'SS Nitrous Fed Big-Block Chevelle-Houston, TX ACES#3321 "There is no Replacement for Displacement"

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
As another student, all I can say is thank goodness for break, now I can almost catch-up on things.

A car that won't turn off can be the result of....

A bad voltage regulator (contacts jam allowing power path from alternator to ignition circuits).

An inductive element that 'feeds' a charge--just enough to keep the engine "lit". If you have an electric choke, electric fans, or any other add-on incorrectly wired to the vehicle's circuits, it will cause this. Don't have anything connected to the alternator's big red wire or anything connected to the BATT terminal on the fuse box that was mentioned above.

Lastly, a bad ignition switch may be to blame.

Joe

------------------
Creator of Team Chevelle's RADIO TECH for original audio questions and answers

Wanted:

-1968 VW beetle water pump

-1973 Corvette quarter panels (they rusted thru)

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 12-17-2000).]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Do you have an msd ignition box? If so you might need to install a diode to only allow the voltage to flow one way. What is happening is voltage is bleeding through the alternater charging lamp indicator back to the MSD box.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have a 6AL box. I am going home soon so I will let you guys know what happens!

------------------
66'SS Nitrous Fed Big-Block Chevelle-Houston, TX ACES#3321 "There is no Replacement for Displacement"

·
Registered
418 Posts
Josh,

If you have had the MSD for some time and didn't have the problem in the past, I doubt if it is a problem with feedback now. The ignition switch is where I would look first.

See you on Jan 06 @ Sonic.

------------------
It’s a BIGger BLOCK!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok Wayne, I will check the ignition switch first..because it would do that befor I even had the MSD box.

------------------

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
You still have power to the box with the key off. If the voltage regulator is bad, it can leak current back into the system. Mine did this and would drain the battery in a day or two. I saw in an earlier post that if you have the idiot lights for GEN to indicate lack of charging, you might need a resistor to load the ignition power circuit and stop any leakage that is strong enough to power the box.
Last resort is a kill switch somewhere.
If you hide it, it could serve as a theft deterent also.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It could be worse I can pull thwe key out while running...one time my frind snagged it by accident and I had to drive back to her house for it.
HOW DID YOU GET BACK???

Yeah it sounds like a CDI leak. Or the the need for an anti dieseling solenoid,

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>
http://members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/intro.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts