Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together a small block with a mild street cam and I am trying to chose a cam for my build. I am considering an HEI distributor, but I was talking to a buddy about them and he told me to avoid the one with Vac advance. He also told me to gut one and wire it for an MSD box. Help a brother.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
If you are putting together just a mild small block a HEI is perfect.
The vacuum advance won't hurt anything but I think it will help.
The vacuum advance will help clean up an idle and make your car feel peppy with the added advance.
I don't think you really need a MSD set up for a mild small block.

Dave

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
I am putting together a small block with a mild street cam and I am trying to chose a cam for my build. I am considering an HEI distributor, but I was talking to a buddy about them and he told me to avoid the one with Vac advance. He also told me to gut one and wire it for an MSD box. Help a brother.
=============================

And mild to evenm farily hot sbc/bbc street perf motor will benefit from a vac adv giving more timing with an aftyermarket perf cam.

The vac adv results in a better idle/better throttle responce esp off idle/more power/cooler running motor/.better fuel economy/etc.

The advice your getting is incorrect for not running a vc adv in your case with a street perf motor so in the future be carefull with advice comming from the same source that was off base for street perf tuning.

And the HEI dist with a vac adv your asking about is perfect for any street sbc/bbc perf motor.

Suggestion,a good place to start for a street perf ign timing curve with mild aftermarket perf cam is to have the dist setup for 18 deg mech adv all in by approx 2600rpm along with vac adv setup for/limited to a max of 12 deg when fully activated.

Then try 18 deg base timing + 18 deg mech in dist for 36 total in by approx 2600rpm + vac adv setup for 12 deg or so max when fully activated for a conservative pump fuel friendly 48-50 deg timing (+ - a couple deg) when at cruise.

Thats a good place to start for a street perf timing curve that will run decent with most perf cams right out of the box on the street with maybe only minimal tweaking of timing by a few deg + - to find the sweet spot.

Scott

·
Registered
160 Posts
Pertronix Ignitor III

Pertronix Ignitor III distributor! :thumbsup::yes::thumbsup:

Built-in rev limiter & multi-spark! :hurray:

No need for that huge ugly HEI distributor cap,
or the "red brick" (6-AL) on the firewall ever again! :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I aggree with SCOTT DAVE & STAN IF YOU ARE ON THE STREET FULL VAC ADV WITH A QUICK CAN ECHLIN VC 1810 with a curve kit. pertronix is very nice short money . and then of course MSDlong money.ALEX

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
get a better buddy, he's clueless. Sounds like he's stuck in the 70s or 80s.

Best overall deal is the ZZ4 HEI for GMPP. Like $170 last I checked. DOn't do anything to it, just run it. Leave the coil in the cap. Don't put some aftermarket triple-throwdown magic module in it. Just run it.

Aftermarket ignition stuff is still today the most over-hyped money sucking crap ever. Half of it isn't as good as stock stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts