Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is somewhat of an off topic but my wife has gone back to work (night shift) which means I now have the responsibility of getting my 4 and 7 year old boys to school. I don't get to drive my car much so I normally take it to work on nice days (short trip). Anyway, the car seats that I have require a shoulder and lap belt to work properly with the car seat which of course my car only has a lap belt in the back seat where by law the child must sit. Is there any way of installing a shoulder and lap belt for the back seat?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
For future reference, the NHTSA has information on their website about child seats. Children in booster seats need both a lap and a shoulder belt according to

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/booster_seat/NewBoosterSeats/FINALCOR2.pdf

However, if your child is in a child seat, lap belts may be sufficient according to

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/csr2001/csrhtml/seatBelts.html

If anyone has any examples of how to safely tote around the older kids in a booster seat, that would be great to share.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
BlueSS454 said:
Not really unless you want to drill holes in the package tray sheetmetal which is not strong by any means.
It may very well be strong enough...

A) The momentum involved in a child is much less than the semi-standard 170 pound adult.

B) Attach points should be designed to spread the load across a wide area of the sheet metal. Think large heavy duty fender washers at a minimum or bolt plates. This is the kinda hardware that comes with belt kits.

C) Attach points should be located in corners and even better tied into the corner and the multiple pieces of structure in the corner.

D) The belting system should be setup so that most of the load is carried in the lap belt and it's mounting points. May require different kidr seats or at least kid seats that belt in seperately and have their own belt setup. We used some Graco booster seats that worked this way but designs may have changed in the last few years.

This is anecdotal, but the shoulder belts in my '68 El Camino tie into the sheet metal of the B pillar. I would think you could do something similiar in a regular old Chevelle.

Steve

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I may need to look into that, thanks.

I have been trying to research options for older kids in the Chevelle. In NJ, the Highway Traffic Safety website (http://www.njsaferoads.com/childseats/childseats_newlaw.html) says you have very few options if you do not have rear shoulder belts. They recommend a child seat from Britax that is good for up to 80 lbs. However, Britax says that you need to use the tether for children above 50 lbs. with that seat.

I called GM and asked if they had any suggestions. They told me to check the website for autozone.com and see if that gave me any information. I think I’ll stick with Team Chevelle, thanks.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
vrooom3440 said:
It may very well be strong enough...

A) The momentum involved in a child is much less than the semi-standard 170 pound adult.

B) Attach points should be designed to spread the load across a wide area of the sheet metal. Think large heavy duty fender washers at a minimum or bolt plates. This is the kinda hardware that comes with belt kits.

C) Attach points should be located in corners and even better tied into the corner and the multiple pieces of structure in the corner.

D) The belting system should be setup so that most of the load is carried in the lap belt and it's mounting points. May require different kidr seats or at least kid seats that belt in seperately and have their own belt setup. We used some Graco booster seats that worked this way but designs may have changed in the last few years.

This is anecdotal, but the shoulder belts in my '68 El Camino tie into the sheet metal of the B pillar. I would think you could do something similiar in a regular old Chevelle.

Steve
I would not suggest that he do any of the above, too risky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts