Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have it narrowned down to 2 i beleive comp cams 274 hydraulic I230/.552 E 236/.555
or gm cam from 502/502 I 224/.527 E 234/.544 hydraulic roller...both have 110 lobe centerlines

engine is 454 .030 over with flat top pistons and 781 gm heads..

now here's my thinking... i cant get a torque curve on the comp cams...as far as i know they dont publish this data...but i can see the torque cam that the chevy cam provides in the 502/502 with 9.5 CR & chevy/edebrock heads..granted i wont produce the 502 hp they do but their torque curve is FLAT & above 500 lbs-ft fom 2700 to 5000 (per GM graph) but i have been told from several sources that the torque on this motor extends down below 2000 rpm ...prob to 1600....if i could get that nice flat, broad torque curve that should do the trick

so the question is this...is it logical to assume that i will get a simlar altho slightly lower curve as the 502/502??

has anyone used this chevy cam in their 454??

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
As compared to the 502 the 454 will exhibit not only less torque, but a more peaky curve. So the peak will probably be in the 475 range but it will lose more down low, and probably carry it higher in the band.

By the way the 502 cam has no fuel pump lobe if this matters.

HTH

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
106 Posts
Because the engine is smaller, so the same camshaft, will act larger to the smaller engine. Not to mention the fact that the torque output is somewhat dependant on the displacement, so the more inches the higher the torque output potential.

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what if i were to use rhoades lifters...do rhoades lifters bleed down at low rpm even witha high output oil pump?? ie is the bleed down property a funciont of time (low rpm) oil pressure/volume, or both???

excellent point about the pump eccentric...

back to the drawing board

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 11-27-99).]

·
Registered
106 Posts
sorry for that pump eccentric thing didnt mean to rain on your parade.

The rhoades lifters bleed according to time. with a high volume pump there will be less time to bleed down so the lifter will stay pumped up higher. I bet it isnt much though.

The bleed down lifters do seem to add more low speed torque and they idle smoother, however it is my belief that if the cam you have is too big, then you should pick the right cam in the first place, not try to fix it with a leaky lifter. I will tell you I have never personally used a bleed down lifter, for the aforementioned reason.

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
155 Posts
What about the roller lifters? That's a roller cam I believe.

Rich do the Comp Cams Extreme Energy 274 hyd. flat lifter cam. Let me know how it goes...I want to try one myself!!

------------------
Dale P.
Team Chevelle Member# 423
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.