Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys not a Velle QQQ. Is the 4.3 V6 any good? Does it have aluminum heads, or is it all cast iron? I'm looking at a 93 1500 Silverado with the 4.3L. From my past experience with some of these types (4.0 L Ferd V6) that the head cracked after 85K on the odometer I was wondering if Chevy had the same problems. Opinions?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well of course it had problems if it was a [email protected]!D engine. Seriously, I have a 91 Blazer that is my daily driver with over 150,000 miles on it now with absolutely no problems. It's really just a 350 minus two cylinders. I think it's the best V6 out there.

------------------
68 Malibu B&M blown 350, TH350 with 10" converter and Gear Vendors overdrive, 12 bolt-3.90 gears
69 CST Pickup original 396, TH400 factory AC/PS/PB
99 Harley Dyna Wide Glide
91 Sportster 883- now a 1200!

·
Registered
513 Posts
The 4.3'S have iron heads. I have a 1995
Silverado with that engine and auto, I love
it. Good power and decent mileage.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
My 90 S-15 Jimmy has the 4.3 V-6 with auto. The thing runs great, never complains, and just keeps going. It does use some oil, of course that with almost 164K on the engine, I feel that acceptable.

------------------
64 Malibu SS 327
Parting out 1965 El Camino
Instructions?...all I need is the exploded view

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
I've got an S10 Blazer, 4.3 V6 with 279,000 mi on the engine. According to the original owner the engine has had a timing chain repair and routine maintenence. I drive it every day.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!

I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
www.chevelles.com/showroom/workgoeson1.jpg

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
my wife's bravada (olds S-10 blazer) has 165k on it, vortec 4.3, not a problem, pulls better than my dads Ram V8 (the bravada is all wheel drive too which helps) but they are great engines.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had an 86 Chev. full size truck with the same motor and the 700r trans. I sold it to my brother-in-law at 130,000 miles on it and he added at least another 100,000 before he trade it in. The only thing that was worked on was the carb and the radiator. That was some work horse. Funnny thing about it, he traded it in for a new [email protected] [email protected] and the motor went bad at 48,000 miles.

[This message has been edited by GWL (edited 05-24-2001).]

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I find mine (91 Jimmy 4X4) is very reliable. A bit hard on gas, but a solid engine (oh, touch wood, cross fingers etc.
) Real good bottom end torque for a 220,000+ km, daily driver.

------------------
'69 SS 300 Deluxe / '71 Malibu 2DR HT
"Never let fear and good judgement hold you back."

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had a 91 GMC Sonoma that I put 130k miles on,sold the truck 2 yrs ago and he put about 60k on it so far, and still no mechanical problems at all. The engine still doesn't use or leak any oil at all. I had to replace the O2 sensor and a fuel injector about 4 yrs.ago.That has been the only thing done to the truck in its 10 yrs. of service (other than routine maint.).IMO the 4.3 is the best V-6 ever made by GM.I just hope my 99 holds up this well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a 4.3L V6 and a 5-speed in my '97 C1500. It's a TREMENDOUS engine. Very smooth, and more powerful than the 350 in my '90 Chevy truck (200hp vs 190hp).

This engine has Vortec heads, just like the 350s and it has a similar cam profile. The newer 4.3's have a balance shaft, which is why the engine is so smooth.

I have 62,000mi on my truck and unlike past smallblocks, it has yet to develop the infamous puff of smoke upon startup. My understanding is that the guides and seals in these engines are greatly improved.

Big O Dave

------------------
God, Family, Country, Chevrolet... and Volvos with Small Blocks in them. To paraphrase the Chrismas carol:

"Oh what fun it is to ride with a HIDDEN Chevrolet!"

Resist the Shiny Side!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a 94 Sonoma pickup with the Vortec 4.3L in it. Has 109k on it now and runs strong. Mine has the W vin and CPI instead of TBI. Supposedly 200hp. If you want more info and want modification possibilities, you might try www.s-series.org [/url] They have a BB with 4.3 tech and some pretty knowledgable guys. (Not quite like here, but that's to be expected) Good Luck!

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
Yous got a problem wit dat?
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction" - Still!
Parts left over = Less weight!
Gold #43

[This message has been edited by DaDon (edited 05-25-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.