Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I don't care for any of them after the mid 70s, but this history goes all the way up to today.

·
Registered
348 Posts
They skipped the 66-67. Aren't those years considered second generation?

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
No, 64-67 are all first generation. They share the same frame, wheelbase, floor pans, etc.

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
576 Posts
Those are still considered first generation. Same chassis.

·
Premium Member
6,924 Posts
I thought the same as Darksky, just learned something, I had a 73 BB elky but really never liked the 5 mph bumpers or the larger colonade styling, a 72 owner at a car show once told me 72 was supposed to get the 5 mph bumpers but didn't and I can't remember what he said the reason was?

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
576 Posts
I thought the same as Darksky, just learned something, I had a 73 BB elky but really never liked the 5 mph bumpers or the larger colonade styling, a 72 owner at a car show once told me 72 was supposed to get the 5 mph bumpers but didn't and I can't remember what he said the reason was?
UAW strike

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I have a 69 el Camino. For el Camino's I like the 68-72 series. For Chevelle's, I like the 66 and 64 best..

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
They could have skipped the 3rd generation from my viewpoint. The 4th to me is more palatable and makes for a lighter car than the 3rd gen. The 73 kind of exemplified what went wrong with GM for a long while. The EPA and Insurance companies ruined the American Automobile for a long long time. They may as well never have built a 5th and 6th generation front wheel drive Malibu from my perspective. Chevy designers have been imported from 3rd world countries apparently. Even the reintroduction of the Camaro design was mediocre with it's 2 tons and underperforming powertrain.
I think Barra has killed GM.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
UAW strike
Yep the '73 was supposed to have been the '72. The strike caused a "carryover" year. In retrospect, thank god. Ten years ago, I did pile up quite a bit of very clean '73 parts. Could not sell a single piece of it. Finally sent the whole load up to Chicagoland on consignment. Glad it's gone.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts