Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a good one,
Today I called a local Napa store just to see if they could get a ring & pinion for my 72, a 12 bolt posi with 3.31 gears. I gave them all the possible info,& said they would call me back, apparently they had to call their supplyer. They called back & said that's not a Chevelle rear end, Chevelle's did'nt come with 12 bolt's.
Imagine that!That's like saying they didn't come with a big block either.
Well I did find one, at Randy's ring & pinion
check out their website
http://www.ring-pinion.com/
very knowledgeable staff & reasonable prices too. Just wanted to share this.
Jeff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Been there - I called them once to see if they had front brake shoes in stock for my 70 and the kid on the phone insisted that all cars made after 69 had disc brakes in front and that I needed disc's not shoes.
Live and learn

·
Registered
636 Posts
Those are exactly the rasons that I don't shop at chain parts stores unless I have too. Here are some examples of lack of knowlege just on this project alone. Now I do realize that most of these high school kids that work in these places dont know a chevelle from a chevette, but these are easy ones.

1. Did not know the difference between 10 spline and 26 spline input shafts

2. Had never seen a vacuum fitting that came directly out of the manifold

3. Had never heard of cowl induction, so I had to draw it for him. This was just to buy a filter element

4. Did not know what a windshield install kit was.

5. Did not know the difference between hidden and non hidden wipers. When trying to buy a new wiper motor, he tried to convince me that I needed the wrong motor because that is what the computer said.

I now shop at a local non chain parts store. Where the prices are only a little more than the chain stores, but I have never walked out of there without my parts, and have never had to return one because it was the wrong thing. Mat ACES #2424

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Been there myself when trying to buy MANY things. I can't tell you how many times I was told that a 400 sb wouldn't fit under my hood!
kevin d

·
Registered
356 Posts
Had the same kind of experience trying to buy a power steering pump. The computer said it was part # whatever, but they kept bringing out a Chrysler pump. Didn't think Saginaw pumps were that hard to identify. Even scarier is when I tried to buy 3/16" brake tubing in a 25' coil. They tried to convince me that what I really wanted was copper tubing. Finally I was able to get the manager to look up the tubing and behold they had it in stock for $15.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The best one I'd had is when the high school kid behind the counter asked me who made Chevelles. Now I realize that these kids were born after production of the chevelle stopped. But I had all I could do stop from laughing out loud.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I can tell you several times lately where I need a part for an El Camino and they ask who makes it?

Also I needed exhaust manifold gaskets once and the girl (hehe) brings out intake manifold gasket/seal set.

oh well thats life i guess.

mike

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
You walk in the parts store and say "I want cork valve cover gaskets for a 454" ...you get this glazed look and the guy says "what's it outa". I hate when that happens.
Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah........and I was told that Chevrolet didnt install the 427 in my 69 Corvette......or never installed any 427 in any Vette for that matter.

Shannon

·
Registered
37 Posts
also been there done that, I found a great parts store A&A Auto (amoto and amoto) it just so happens the manager and one of his employees own chevelles, sell me everything at summit ang jegs prices, sometimes one day wait for parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.