Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out some of the cars and other stuff at an auction I'm going to this weekend. I'll give you all an update on Sunday as to how much some of it went for.
1965 Chevelle Malibu SS 138375A14XXXX-283, 4sp.,75K mi., power brakes, all original, body in very good cond.

1965 Chevelle Malibu SS Drag car-138375K18XXXX small block. power glide trans., back halfed, in storage since 1996.

1963 Chevy II Nova SS- no picture

non running vehicles include a 1965 Chevelle 300 2dr. sedan, 1965 El Camino, 1972 Chevelle. No picture of these either. I have seen them from a distance but could not get close yet. No trespassing signs posted.
Also being auctioned are a couple of motors. A 454 and a 350 4bolt main.
and some NOS items.:thumbsup:
Chevy collectibles, nascar and Dale Earnhardt memorabilia. That has my name all over it.:D

Needless to say I am excited about this auction. I will take pictures and try to keep track of the sale prices.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I was told neither of the cars have clear titles yet - they will mail them at a later date.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
what are the legal issues of buying / selling a car with no title?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Since you did not fill out your profile we do not know the state you are in.
A wild guess, Indiana, requires a title to transfer ownership. I would think the auctioneer or seller would be required to furnish a clear title.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told neither of the cars have clear titles yet - they will mail them at a later date.
I did not know that. It does not say anything about the titles in the ad. I guess since it is an estate auction maybe they could not find the titles and will have to send off for a new one after the sale. I assume they will address that before the start of the auction.

Do you happen to know if the '72 has a title?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I hope they address the title issue before the auction so everyone understands the situation. I dont really know for sure - but I would "assume" all the cars have the same title issues.
They started parting out the 72 - I wonder how much is left? They said the other two cars are rough - I wonder how rough? no pictures of them.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Stephanie,
Thanks for sharing this information and keeping us posted.
I'd be curious what the blue '65 sells for, and the non running '65 300 also.

And for what it's worth, (Myforth) there are at least several states that do not require titles for vehicles over a certain age. A bill 'o sale is all that is needed to register them as a new owner in my state for example. Of course for peace of mind you want as much ownership history on the car as possible - especially if you need to sell it at some point to someone in another state. Titles can be created legally for a fee with evidence of ownership, record searches and notarizations. It's not fast or easy, but can be done.
Tom

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
The auction will take place Friday nite and Saturday. Tools Fri nite and continuing Saturday along with Nascar collectables and parts. At 12pm the property is auctioned, with the cars to follow afterward.

The location is an empty lot with the 3 car garage on it, at Charlestown Rd. and County Line Rd. This is between New Albany, and Sellersburg on Hwy 31, which is Charlestown Rd.

I would be surprised if the stock Chevelle doesn't have a title, the owner (who died a year ago) bought it 12-15 years ago and put it in storage, it was never driven.
The race car may not have a title, but it is a pretty clean car and was probably a good car before it got cut up. They keep saying L79, but this car has no indicators of being an L79. It has an automatic brake pedal in it. It is a 327, with angle plug heads and nothing stock.

The El Camino and coupe I have not seen, but was told they are rusted into the ground.

Should be interesting. I think stuff will easily get bid to way more then it is worth.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are a couple more pictures I took today of the cars. IMO the only two worth having are the original '65 and the drag car.:thumbsup: The others are pretty far gone.The first two pictures are of the engine compartment and the interior of the above mentioned '65. It could use a full restoration but is a really solid cancer free survivor.:yes:I wish I had the money to buy it but I'm sure it will be way out of my price range.

The one they have listed as a '72 is actually a '71. I'm not sure I would drag this one home at any price.:noway:It is in pretty bad condition. The only good things about it is the drivers side quarter is in pretty good shape, the glass that is there and the trim around the windshield is good. As is the drip rail molding. The roof looks ok if someone needed one. Other than that I don't have much good to say about it.

Now , the '65 post car and the ElCamino. All I can say is rough, rough, rough.:yes:

I know the post car does not look that bad in the picture but believe me it's pretty rusty. Their are weeds growing up through the floorboards.
The cars will be sold in the morning. This should be interesting.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got home from the auction. Here are the numbers.
The '65 sold for $11,500.
The drag car sold for $7000. I thought this was well bought.
The ElCamino sold for $410.
The post car sold for $375.
And the '71 sold for $275.
The last three did not have titles.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Thanks Stephanie!

The '65 sold for about 4 grand more than I had guessed.
I don't know beans about drag car values, so I didn't guess on that.
The other three sold for about I thought. I figured about $300 apiece for them. I live in a state that doesn't require titles so I think they would fetch more here.

Interesting auction - thanks again. Tom

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
There were two sets of nos chrome for the El Camino. They were for the rear window. If I remember right the 65 had a wide band around the back window. It's been 35 years since I had my 65 El Camino. both sets sold for $180 or so. I am sure this was a great deal, I don't think those parts are re-pro'ed.

I managed to get a nos grille for $120, a box with two headlight trim rings, front fender eyebrow trim, and the two vertical pieces for $40. There was an nos center hood strip, nos front hood trim and used sedan rear window stainless. They put this all together. I could have used the center strip, but a guy next to me wanted it pretty bad, so I told him I would stay off it if he would stay off the grille. He won that lot for $180, didn't want the front hood trim, so I got it for $50. All in all a good day.

General opinion was the stock 65 would be 10-12 and the race car about half that. That is about what they brought. There was a lot of talk of out of town buyers and they were "GOING TO BUY THE CAR". If that had happened they might have seen 14-15, but the bidding stayed pretty realistic. It had been said the car was in storage for 12 years or so, but a few people were there that knew Mr Bryson and they said he bought the car in 72 and stored it and it was only moved 3 times, never really driven. So it had been in storage for over 35 years.

All the talk of L79 on the race car meant nothing as any indicators of that are long gone.
It didn't have the original engine, I would guess a guy could spend $2000 and make it a streetable car. It had areas where the mud covered full panels at least 1/4 inch.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Ken did a good job for Judith.
The race car wasn't bad, but needed some TLC. The $8000 it sold for, was the full market price of a car like that.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ken did a good job for Judith.
The race car wasn't bad, but needed some TLC. The $8000 it sold for, was the full market price of a car like that.
I thought it sold for $7K.:confused:I must not have been paying enough attention. I had no clue what it was worth but I thought that was a pretty good price. I did not look at it close enough to notice any mud in it. I knew I was not going to be buying it so it did not matter to me.

We did not buy too much stuff. Only spent about $200. Got some good deals on craftsman tools, some Earnhardt stuff and a cool mirrored chevelle picture frame.

After I got home I started going through some of the box lots of stuff and found some Earnhardt autographed picture cards of him and his crew.:hurray:

Another neat thing I found was a bag full of hat pins. It had a little bit of everything in it from Nascar, tracks, NHRA, a few military and some old chevrolet and chevelle pins.

Here are a couple of pictures of my finds.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Thats pretty cool.:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts