Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to upset people with this question. I just would like to know how many people actually drive their Chevelles from their homes to the show? It seems like most posts that I am reading sounds like most people trailer their cars.

I cannot figure out how to post a poll with this question so maybe you can include the answer and I can add it up.

1: Drive all the way.
2: Trailer-trailer queen
3: Trailer-too much gear
4: Trailer-other

I have wanted to go to CB for a few years, but it is always been the same time as the Power Tour. If the price of gas keeps going up I may be going next year insted of the Power Tour.

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Drive all the way, drive it everywhere, but I understand why people trailer their cars and I respect them and their reasons for doing it. :thumbsup:
Different strokes for different folks. :D
See my front license plates in my showroom.:)
BillL

· Premium Member
16,276 Posts
My 70 gets trailered for the following reasons:

Car gets 10 MPG vs truck and open trailer getting 16.
850 miles each way
I like to beat the snot out of my 70, what do I do if I blow it up while I'm 850 miles from home??
Yes I have blown it up at Chevellabration.
I don't like spending a day cleaning it when I get there...too many other things to do

NOrmally I use an enclosed trailer, but this year I'm using my flatbed to save on fuel, it weighs half as much. If the event were less than 200 miles away, Id drive there and back.

· Registered
10,297 Posts
I drive all the way (700+mi), AND pull a trailer. :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Four reasons why I'm going to trailer:

1. Road hazards and rock chips, (new hasn't worn off)
2. I really don't trust my Chevelle yet!
3. Leather, heated, lumbar supported seat in my Surburban.
4. Cruise control.

I'm not sure if number one and two are in the correct order. :sad:

· Registered
1,736 Posts
I drove it my first 4 years to Chevell~abration. I enjoyed driving it. It was a grueling drive at just over 2,000 miles. I did have one major breakdown with a blown transmission over 800 miles from home.

I have been trailering since 2005 for the following reasons:

1. Too many kids, I usually bring the whole family... when we were 4 it was tight, now at 6 its just impossible. Heck in 2004 we drove the Chevelle AND a Suburban to fit us all!!

2. Comfort. As I get older...I'm getting weaker and enjoy the drive better in a quiet, comfortable, air conditioned Suburban.

3. Peace of Mind: Not having to worry about something breaking... yeah I know, new tow vehicles can break as well. But after putting well over 90K miles on my Chevelle its no longer in tip top shape. If I cover all the issues that I'd like to address on the Chevelle...I couldn't afford the trips to CB and the regionals, so its a trade off.

My Chevelle is far from a queen, its more like a distressed driver. I do like to take it on trips (days drive at most). We did drive it to last years Northern Gathering 1,000 mile round trip...(and we left the kids home).

I would guess that once the kids get older and the car gets the redo it deserves, If its just my wife and I making the trips we may just start driving it down again.

Bottom line is ...AS LONG AS YOU GET THERE. Once you're there it's all about the people!

· Lifetime Founding Member
11,978 Posts
I've driven mine there and back three times but now I trailer it on an open trailer the 300 miles each way for most of the reasons already mentioned. Plus there's a lot more room in the truck for tools, "stuff", and parts to swap. And a biggie: the wife is much more comfortable, relaxed, and happy and so am I. Plus she has a vehicle to go shopping, etc., with while I'm at the show.

· Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Drive one
Trailer one (rear gear)

· Registered
10,297 Posts
Four reasons why I'm going to trailer:

1. Road hazards and rock chips, (new hasn't worn off)
2. I really don't trust my Chevelle yet!
3. Leather, heated, lumbar supported seat in my Surburban.
4. Cruise control.

I'm not sure if number one and two are in the correct order. :sad:

One of the first things I did to the 70 conv was scrounge through the salvage yards removing cruise components. It now has "factory" cruise which makes the long drive much more enjoyable.
I also went completely through the air cond system and sealed up all the joints of the ductwork inside the dash. So now, with working cruise and cold R12 air cond, the drive is much more enjoyable! :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
94 Posts
2nd time at Chevellabration. Drove last time, driving again, no air, no cupholders, No kids, plenty of good music and time alone in our sweeter two seater!

· Premium Member
8,011 Posts
I did a frame off on my 70 El Camino SS 454 M-22. Now it is a Tlr. Queen. After a few years of hauling it around. I built a driver, a 70 SS 454 Sta. Wgn. The wagon is a mish mash of Chevelle parts and a blast to drive.
The wagon has been DRIVEN to Fla. (power tour) Can am in Buff, NY, Nashville 2-3 times, Woodward Cruise and an everyday driver weather permitting.
The El Camino is old and looks out of the garage door a lot. I haul it around to visit other old Chevelles, It has a lot of friends from Balt,MD.
Now I have fun with my Trailer Queen. This is where my retirement money is. When I die, No one will fight over my money.
LIFE is a one way street, Enjoy it while you can. I relish everyday above ground !!
Bob:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
1,773 Posts
As always, I'm driving. My ac works great, the 3.31/700r4 combo is getting 17-18 mpg, and I can't touch that towing my heavy trailer with the Silverado. Got my tool box, a spare ignition system, and a VISA card. That should get me there and back.

· Registered
2,853 Posts
usually trailer (open) the 70. it's a matter of fuel consumption, wear and tear, and possible broke parts.

This year I'm driving the 68. I managed to put another 150 miles on this weekend, so I'm starting to feel a little more confident. Still have bugs to work out but should be ready. All my friends think I'm nuts and have threatened to change their cell phone numbers.

Bringing tools and as many spare parts as I can fit. getting 13 mpg and it's going to be 800 miles round trip. yikes!

· Premium Member
3,413 Posts
One of the first things I did to the 70 conv was scrounge through the salvage yards removing cruise components. It now has "factory" cruise which makes the long drive much more enjoyable.
I also went completely through the air cond system and sealed up all the joints of the ductwork inside the dash. So now, with working cruise and cold R12 air cond, the drive is much more enjoyable! :thumbsup:

Tom, I have an NOS cruise control for my 68 but nothing to connect the servo to the carb, think you might have that much needed part?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.