Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got a friend who's thinking of buying this 1990 cougar xr7 supercharged with pretty low miles. It really is a stock supercharged 3.8 V6(I think fuel injected).
This person told me this Cougar had power like my 68 chevelle(was a 350, soon to be a 400) never had. I know my chevelle has a bit more style than the ford(masked as a mercury
), and you can't judge performace of a car just "by the seat of your pants", but does anyone have any idea of what kinda power this cougar is pumping hp/torque-wise and 1/4-mile-wise?

Thanks in advance. Just wanna know if this is an issue I should back down from.

Tony

[This message has been edited by Ox68 (edited 07-07-99).]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found a torque figure for the engine in that car at Eaton superchargers site. Only 280 lbs/ft. Granted it's lighter than my chevelle, but 280 lbs/ft isn't exactly raw horsepower.

·
Registered
12,958 Posts
First of all let's do an even comparison. Is your car supercharged? If not, then let's get it supercharged so he can compare apples to apples. See how he likes that! Or is he saying that his HAS TO BE supercharged in order to just get it up to your existing performance?
You know, a person can drive a bridge nail with a claw hammer if it is hit enough times. But what happens when you hit a bridge nail with a sledge hammer? Displacement has no equal.

------------------

·
Registered
326 Posts
My good friend has had 3 Thunderbird SC's. Same as that Cougar. If that Cougar has a manual it can pull an ET of 15.5-15.6. A little slower if it is an auto. You have to realize that car weighs as much if not more than your Chevelle. All that speed he thinks he is feeling is the torque. That car has good low end power. It is also decent on the aerodynamics, the T-bird is much better though. It is a quick car, good suspension. I like them, but they are not that fast stock. I have seen some that are modified run 12's (heavily modified). My friend has a 95 right now. It is capable of around a 14.0 (that is my estimate judging by how far behind me he is when he tries to follow my 65). He has spent a lot of money on that car. Looks really cool. I guess it would be inappropriate to post a picture of a F**D here so I won't. But if you want more info I can tell ya where to find it

www.sccoa.com

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used to have a '91 T-bird SC w/ the super-charged 3.8. It was rated at 210 hp which was 5 hp more than the V8 T-bird that year.

It was a fairly cool car and pretty fast (for a V6), but it would never have been a match for a Chevelle. It definitely could hold its own in its class of 'sporty' early-90's V-6s - but that is a different class than late 60's Chevelles!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Ox68, I've ridden in one of those. It's OK. My Olds Aurora will wax it, but more after 45-50 mph( the Olds weighs 3800!!) My 67 396 will cream it, nolo contendre. Your 400 will cream it too. Just get your 'Elle to hook up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.