Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference between a 66 chevelle and a 66 malibu ?

if you were gonna put money into a car which would it be ?

are the 67 chevelles any different from the 66 ?

is it possible to find a daily driver in a 66 for 10k ?

·
Banned
7,909 Posts
A Malibu is a Chevelle. It's a type of Chevelle.
There's also a 300 series and an SS model.

67 is the same body style, in 68 it became more bubbly. 68-69 are similar, 70-71-72 are also similar...

There are little changes, bumpers, taillights, seats, dashes, etc.

Look around on the site and read some threads and you will learn plenty.

You should be able to buy a 66 Malibu for 10k easily.

IMO just pick a nice 69 and get the best year...of course I'm biased though...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply,

would you invest money into a 66 malibu, making it along the lines of a pro touring car ?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
IMO just pick a nice 66 and get the best year of course I'm biased though, I have nothing but 66's, Hdtp, convertible and an El Camino and soon a 66 wagon. I also have a 68, kinda a step child. Bottom line is buy the body style that YOU LIKE, there all nice.

·
Premium Member
17,402 Posts
A Malibu is a Chevelle. It's a type of Chevelle.
There's also a 300 series and an SS model.

67 is the same body style, in 68 it became more bubbly. 68-69 are similar, 70-71-72 are also similar...

There are little changes, bumpers, taillights, seats, dashes, etc.

Look around on the site and read some threads and you will learn plenty.

You should be able to buy a 66 Malibu for 10k easily.

IMO just pick a nice 69 and get the best year...of course I'm biased though...
:noway:
Hard to beat a nice looking '66, unless maybe a '70... :thumbsup:

The Malibu and the SuperSport share the same interiors, options and basic body... the SS had the exclusive use of the 396 BB (except for some El Caminos), and the SS had some extra HD stuff for the bigger engine, but all bolt-on stuff...

Its going to be harder to find a nice SS driver for the $10K...

Some people don't like clones, but a '66 is prety easy to add the SS visuals, like the hood, blacked out grill, and trim...

As for 66 vs 67, basically very similar. the front 6" and rear 6" of the cars differ (grill front bumper, hood and fender edges and taillights)... Some trim differences, and mostly upholstery pattern differences... The '67 uses a "collapsible" steering column, so the dash/coulmn and support pieces differ slightly, but visually VERY similar... '67 also came standard with the dual reservoir brakes...

But they are so close, it really comes down to which style (grill and taillights) you like...

If you want a 2-door hardtop (the body style you posted above), its going to be a malibu or an SS... Typically, you will pay more for an SS, assuming all else is equal (condition and equipment)... Of course, that means it could be worth more when and if you decide to sell...

If you don't have alot of money to burn, then generally steer clear of the nicer SS cars, because they will probably cost more...

By the best you can afford, especially when it comes to the body...

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
bigant2984 said:
Would you invest money into a 66 Malibu, making it along the lines of a pro touring car?

Anthony, be advised that you're not "investing" your money by buying and restoring a '66 Chevelle (with the possible exception of a nice, numbers matching '66 SS), instead you're putting money into a hobby.

With few exceptions, you'll be upside down after buying a Chevelle and doing a quality restoration on it.

Since you're expressing an interest in doing a pro-touring restoration, I would make the condition of the body of primary importance in your hunt for a '66 Chevelle. You don't want to start out with a car that might need quarter panels, has rusty pinholes through the floorpan, etc.
Look for a car with good, solid GM sheetmetal...that should be your primary concern.

-Greg

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
ALL Malibus are Chevelles but NOT all Chevelles are Malibus....get it?

I can't believe I was the first one to says this on this thread.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts