Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to sound stupid
, but what's the difference between a 69 Chevelle, and a 69 Chevelle Malibu?

------------------
Scott, 20
Dallas, 69 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
834 Posts
A plain chevelle is like a Custom Deluxe half ton. Not many options if any, not as much trim type stuff. Malibu is more like the luxury sedan and then there's the SS that is the sports can type.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan, Canada
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I asked the wrong question. That's pretty much what I've been told in the past, but still doesn't tell me what the differences there are. For example, Dodge Neon RT versus Neon ACR. ACR is faster because It's designed to be lighter, example manual versus power windows. That's pretty much what I'm looking for and don't know where to look for it. What kind of specific differences are there between models. Appreciate any help as always!

------------------
Scott, 20
Dallas, 69 Chevelle Malibu

[This message has been edited by speedr8413 (edited 09-14-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
The lines start getting a little blurred in 69, but previous to that, you couldn't get a big block in a Malibu. Performance-wise, everthing was pretty much saved for the big block SS's (12 bolt rears, rear suspension pieces, larger fuel line,etc). Malibu was pretty much a trim package, without anything being added or subtracted in the name of performance. It does seem most , if not all, Malibus I have noticed are 2 door coupes with small blocks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
From 1969 0n, all SS Chevelles were a Malibu with an SS option. From 68 on back the SS was an actual model. Then in 69 GM changed it to an option for the Malibu, but in 69 they actualy did make a few 300 deluxe 2dr post SS cars, Very rare.
The Malibu was the top of the line Chevelle,
the 300 deluxe was the cheaper model.

Jeff

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't forget the Concours Sport Coupe. Here is info I received from Robert Stoltz :

Concours sport coupes and sedans were produced for two years only -- in 1968 and 1969. Contrary to popular belief, the Malibu Concours was not a Chevelle manufactured or assembled in Canada, but here in the United
States. Beginning in March of 1968, toward the end of the production run for that model year, Chevrolet produced a special-order Chevelle Malibu called the Concours. Though there existed the Concours station wagon, the
Concours sedan and sport coupe were not part of that model series, and shared nothing with the wagon other than the Concours nameplate.

Concours sedans and sport coupes feature a custom interior package that included extra-thick sound insulation, a special six-bow headliner, notched back seat, split-bench front seat, deluxe seat belts and custom door panels with extended arm rests in both the front and rear passenger compartments.

The Concours interior was originally designed for the Chevelle; however, for production scheduling purposes some of the interior pieces also were used on the Buick Skylark (1968 and 1969 model years). These pieces include the door panels and extended armrests (front and rear), and the notched back seat. The seat upholstery (front and rear) also used the same trim ornament, but a different seat pattern. (An interior accessory offered by Buick [but not Chevrolet] was the optional rear side panel courtesy light.)

Of the 180,401 Malibus built for the 1968 model year, only 8,307 -- less than five percent -- were Concours sport coupes, making them among the rarest of 1968 Chevelles produced. (Even more rare is the 1968 Concours sedan of which only 2,305 were produced.) Most were sold on the West Coast.

Thanks Robert for all the research. Hope this doesn't cloud it up even more.
- Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.