Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 454 Chevelle LS-5 with posi rear-end. When i press the accellerator the car torques/pitches to the left, and when I let off the accellerator, the car "releases" and torques/pitches back to the right. It is as if one set of wheels is turning faster than the other. I am thinking it may be a rear-end issue, but I don't don't know for sure. Anyone ever heard of this or have any ideas? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Check your motor mounts, you may have a broken one. I doubt it is a rear end issue unless you can feel it breaking loose.

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
i think a car will do that when the posi clutches are wearing out- one tire is spinning slightly faster than the other, causing the car to get slideways.

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
Broken axle?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
rear left brake assembly... something getting wedged ?? Not the same scenario, but I had frozen calipers in my Pickup. Pulled like the devil to one side..

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I had that exact symtom once. It wound up being a damaged rear control arm.
Same here.

Didnt notice it until I went to pull them out and install the hotchkis arms and then got the "ah, well that would explain it" moment.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
I had this happen to me. It was a bolt on the upper left control arm(rear, of course) had fallen out. That was bad enough. Sure glad it was not a lower control arm!

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I should of mentioned that it was my upper left that was fragged. Cracked and bent just near the rear pumpkin. Still had a bolt through it, just didnt matter much. :D

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
My first thought was the clutches in the posi are slipping as well.

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
Broken axle?
the first symptom of a broken axle would be when the tire and what's left of the axle passes the car when you get on it..

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Originally Posted by eyewanta65
I had that exact symtom once. It wound up being a damaged rear control arm.

Same symptom,but frame crossmember tearing apart near left rear upper cntrl arm mount.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
So did you ever figure out the problem Scott?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts