Chevelles.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to change from a sweep dash to an SS dash. I see a lot of the Monte SS dashes for sale. Has anyone ever removed the wood grain from a Monte dash? Will it work, how does it look?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Monte Dash is the same. The problem is that when you remove the wood grain there will be small holes in the dash where the wood grain insert mounted to it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
These holes are easily filled, it's the one where the headlight switch is that's the problem. The raised letters are either bad or missing.

A little epoxy and the dash is good as new.

An experienced eye can tell if it's a Monte dash. Ok for a cloned Malibu though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DG,
I'm a bit of a stickler thought, I've tried to make everything on the car look as original as possible to make it look a real SS. If it's not going to look right then I'd rather just spend the money on a real ss dash.
Does anyone have any pictures of a Monte dash converted to a Chevelle SS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I know there out there, i've just seen a few of the Monte dashes w/the guages and was wondering if it would work. I'll probably go the route of the new dash.
Anyone out there have a used one w/guages for sale?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've heard on 1972 Monte dashes that they don't have the holes but the 70-71 do. I don't know if your cloning a 72 but if you are this might work, if you're not cloning a 72 then it won't because all 72's have a seat belt warning light near the lighter and someone who knows this will spot it quickly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In the process of freshening up my dash in my 72 SS, I had at one time about 5 dashes from Velles and montes. The 72 monty dashes that I did have, didn't have holes per se'. They did have however a couple of slits for tabs to fit through next to the heater cut out. You couldn't even see them without looking very hard. The tabs fit thruogh tese slots and were bent over. On the back of the woodgrain cover there was a double sided tape that looked original to me. I am no expert on monte dashes but it seems as though having 3 different dashes from 3 different places in the us that were all put together identically should mean something. Was this normal for 72's?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I bought a 71 Monte dash for my Chevelle that has the small slits also...no holes. Very hard to see them and no damage to the raised letters behind the wood grain.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
You can also remove the insert, strip the wood grain decal, and paint it any color you chose. I've seen them painted to match the exterior color and they look great. I painted mine black to contrast the dark brown interior color.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Do any of you guys that are doing these changes have a good quality sweep dash for 70-72 that you'd be willing to part with at a reasonable price. My Odometer is toast and my gauge doesn't work. [email protected]

thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts