Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, my chevelle is sitting 2-3 inches higher in the front after I replaced my old control arm bushings w/ polygraphite ones. I can jump on the front and the suspension barely moves. Is this normal? Does it just need to break in? Or should I have tightened everything down when it was sitting on the ground? Right now the front is quite a bit higher than the back of the car. It looks goofy. thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Yeah, you should tighten the bushings with the car on the ground. I can't remember if it's critical on the lowers, but the uppers have serated edges on the inner sleeve that bites into the cross bar. If you leave it like that, the bushing will seperate from the inner sleeve.

[This message has been edited by Gene McGill (edited 11-20-99).]

·
Registered
840 Posts
Check to make sure the springs are sitting in there(seats)the right way or it will sit like a truck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I doubt if the bushings are the problem. I just finished installing the polygraphites and have torqued the bolts. I can easily move the control arm by hand all the way up and down. Its true that the inner sleeve locks in, but the polygraphite still slides within the inner and outer sleeve. I think the springs are the much more likely culprit. The flat end of the spring goes up. I installed the lower end in the little pocket on the lower control arm, but after looking at the GM assembly manual it states that it should be between the two little holes which are about an inch from the pocket. I think it'll be ok either way since it looks like the spring will work its way into the pocket anyway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
How long did you have the springs out of the car? After springs sit around with no weight on them for a while, they seem to take a liking to their fully released size. Even after a motor has been out of a car for a few months, the suspension will sit higher at first when the motor is put back in. After they are installed and re-loaded for a few days they settle back to where they belong. I really don't know about the bushings affecting the ride height, I want to say that it doesn't matter, but maybe it does. I never saw anything in a manual about tightening everything up in a loaded position and in the three cars I have rebuilt front suspensions on I have never paid that close attention and also not had a problem with bushings seperating, although I have never used polygraphite. Did you put the springs in right like Doud A said??

[This message has been edited by SSteve L (edited 11-21-99).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
It could be a simple matter of the tires not sitting at their normal position. When you first drop the front of the car down from a jack, the tires are angled in at the bottom. If you push the car back and forth a couple times, as well as bounce the suspension, the tires will work themselves back into alignment. This may sound stupid, but I had to do this when I replaced springs to get an acurate measurement on my car.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS Clone 502-580HP
1992 Trans Am Conv(4Sale)
1992 Taurus SHO
Mercer, PA

·
Registered
37 Posts
I replaced the old factory bushings with PST Polygraphite and it worked just fine. I had the work done, but the only comment from my friend (who rebuilds front ends all the time) said that he hard a hard time getting the springs back in right and the car sat far too high when the springs weren't seated properly. I would check here first. You'll love the steering and handling changes that the polys give you, once you get the ride height right.

------------------
'72 SS 402
Denison, TX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.