1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is this seats from a Chevelle?
If yes, what year?

I want to buy seat brackets, so I need to know what they are :- )

Thanks,
John

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Wood Asphalt

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Bumper

Wood Automotive tire Natural material Road surface Trunk

·
Registered
1969 Grand Prix. 455 TH400 12 bolt.
122 Posts
They look like 70-2 Chevelle to me and yes on the brackets. They are originally welded to the floor along with a console bracket which you may also want.

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,650 Posts
No, they have the side release and no head rest. I would say '67 or '68.
Yes, I agree.
IIRC - the 67 seats had the metal backs / bottoms, but the 68 seats were the first year for plastic backs / bottoms

Are these seats metal backs / bottoms?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I agree.
IIRC - the 67 seats had the metal backs / bottoms, but the 68 seats were the first year for plastic backs / bottoms

Are these seats metal backs / bottoms?
I will find out, but I will say plastic.
So no headrest can be used?

And if they are 67 or 68, can the backets in the link then be used?

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,669 Posts
He is referring to metal vs plastic seat back and bottom side skirts. This is the back piece that you have your hand on. It looks metal in the picture. Not sure why there are two holes at the top. I don't see the bottom side skirts. I would say that a head rest could be added but you will be missing the rod mounts inside the seat cushion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He is referring to metal vs plastic seat back and bottom side skirts. This is the back piece that you have your hand on. It looks metal in the picture. Not sure why there are two holes at the top. I don't see the bottom side skirts. I would say that a head rest could be added but you will be missing the rod mounts inside the seat cushion.
Yes, when zoom in, then I think I can see rust. But I will find out, then next time I'm in the workshop.
As you can see, then I need to buy a bit upholstery, so it would be nice to buy the correct the first time. :- )

Also to buy the correct brackets.

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Bumper Font

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,669 Posts
I hope you really like this style seat. You are going to have a lot of money invested in them. Go through and add up all of the parts. You better be sitting down. Yes those are the correct brackets in your link. What year is your car?

Reactions: RAIDER SS

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope you really like this style seat. You are going to have a lot of money invested in them. Go through and add up all of the parts. You better be sitting down. Yes those are the correct brackets in your link. What year is your car?

They came with this set of seats, when I bought the car, but also with a set, like in my 73 Camaro
Yes it will cost a bit, but a set of 69 seat, shipped to me, with VAT, will be big $

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,669 Posts
So, for a '69, the headrest mounts might be a problem, the seat back release should be on the back center (not sure if that is easy to change), and you will need plastic backs and skirts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So, for a '69, the headrest mounts might be a problem, the seat back release should be on the back center (not sure if that is easy to change), and you will need plastic backs and skirts.
Ok thanks.
Without it will now be :- )

= my 69 will be with 67 (or maybe 68) seats :- )

·
Premium Member
Ben Rambow Snohomish, WA
7,656 Posts
Those are not A-body seat tracks. Not sure what they are... Nova maybe, or Riviera or Toranado. They aren't A-Body or B-Body i can say that much for sure.
The seats are 67 frames though with metal backs (missing its metal bottom skirts), so you can buy repop a-body tracks and have them work.

66 & 67 Seats use a totally different style headrest and headrest hardware than 68-72... so you would not be able to add the later headrests and have them look right.

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,650 Posts
I hope you really like this style seat. You are going to have a lot of money invested in them. Go through and add up all of the parts. You better be sitting down.
Bill ain't kidding - you are going to spend a lot of money to make your seats good again - no matter what year they are.
You have Stratto bucket seats. The same Stratto bucket seat was used in the other GM lines (Buick, Olds, Pontiac....) back in the 60's & 70's, but GM used different styles of seat coverings per car line and different seat tracks per car lines. So in order for these seats to be correct in your 69 - they will have a center seat back release button and plastic decorative seat backs and seat skirts. Whatever metal seat backs and seat skirts you now have can be sold (if they are in refinish-able shape) to owners' of 1967 cars because they do not repo the metal backs and skirts, whereas the plastic versions are available as repos. If I were you - I would spend my money to make these seats into 69 seats because you will spending money to restore a center seat back release system (69) or a center seat back release system (67) so you'd be better off spending the money on making what's right for your 69 car. And since you'll be spending a lot of money to make these seats good again - adding headrests to any Stratto bucket that didn't come with headrests is just going to really really add to what you need to spend. Don't bother with the headrests unless you are addicted to spending more money than you need to.

Rambo says you don't have Chevy tracks on your Stratto bucket seats but as he states you can buy them repo'd.

Then you have those linked metal bucket seat brackets that get welded to you floor - sold per your model year Chevelle.

·
Premium Member
13,601 Posts
To me they look like 67 seats but they have the 68 plastic backs on them. Lower skirts are missing. They are certainly restorable but they appear to be in poor shape. Guarantee there is going to be rust to remove and some spring repairs. They will need everything. Basically just a set ofsprings and frames that will need work. Not sure what those tracks are from. Cant say Ive ever seen that style before.

·
Premium Member
Ben Rambow Snohomish, WA
7,656 Posts
To me they look like 67 seats but they have the 68 plastic backs on them. Lower skirts are missing. They are certainly restorable but they appear to be in poor shape. Guarantee there is going to be rust to remove and some spring repairs. They will need everything. Basically just a set ofsprings and frames that will need work. Not sure what those tracks are from. Cant say Ive ever seen that style before.
Brad, you can see the the closeup of the seat backs, some tiny rusty spots are visible where the paint is chipped, and also you can see the expposed single metal edge where the chrome trim is peeled up. that would be a round bead if they were 68-72s. Also 66/67 seats are more pointed at the top than 68-72s... SO these ("this" since i only see one) are 100% 67 seats.

I think he is in europe, so pickings are probably pretty slim over there for seat cores...
I've restored worse than these, they are in my car now! ;-)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts