Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the first year for this wheel on the Chevelle? Please be model specific, like 1969 COPOs only.

Thanks,

Diego

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
1967 with the disk brake option is the first that I know of.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
From what i can tell, the chevy rally wheel actually was a BUICK wheel first. It was used on skylarks in 1966, with a different center cap, and the wheel was painted body color. It was first used by chevrolet in 1967, the wheel was put on production chevies until 1977. There were many versions of it, ranging from 14x5" to 15x8" The flat style "disc brake" cap was only used in 67, and was the only year it was used. There was also a "non disc brake" cap used in 67 on drum brake cars, that was the same cap, but just read "Chevrolet motor division" and didnt say "disc brakes" on it. In 68 the common "derby" style cap was introduced and the smaller disc brake style cap was discontinued from production. The derby cap was used then from 1968-1977 on lots of chevy models, including the chevelle, corvette, impala, el camino, monte carlo, camaro, and nova.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Diego,
I have heard the same thing as Joey B - that they started out as a Buick wheel - don't remember where I heard this though.

BTW - I see you're at Michigan State, I'm getting tired of you guys beating up on us in football every year!

Welcome to Team Chevelle!

------------------
Adam Layman
1971 Chevelle Malibu

The Beast
Front
Front Side
Rear
Side
295/50-15 Fit
295/50-15 Fit 2
The Rust
The 406

·
Registered
93 Posts
In 1967, rally wheels were included when front disc brakes were ordered. There was no option to get rally wheels on a drum brake car until 1968. The reason that you see 1967-style center caps that only say Chevrolet Motor Division (without saying Disc Brakes), is that the original center cap ornament was discontinued, and replaced with the ornament that was used on the wire wheel covers, which only said Chevrolet Motor Division. I found this out when I ordered a new set of 1967 center caps in approximately 1978-1979.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I agree with what has been said thus far, except the part about the wheel being intro'd on '66 Buicks. They weren't called Rally Wheels until '68 when they became an option on drum-brake cars. They were standard on disk brake cars in '67 & '68 (at least most of '68). Hmmm, the Rallys as described sound like the wheel that was used on '67 Buick GS340 plus '68/9 GS350s, which are just the good old Rally Wheel. Buick & Chevy did share some wheel & wheel cover options over the years ('68 - '74 Corvette Turbine wheel covers came from the '66 Riviera after losing the spinner and carried through '69 on the Riv).
Pontiac had a very similar wheel, the Rally I from 1965 through 1968. They were only offered for drum brake cars. If you look at the '67 brochures they show a Pontiac Rally I with the Chevy caps (trivia!).

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think I'm following this. In my Chevelle by the numbers, 68 appears to be the first year for the rallys. As for 67 and disk brakes, I believe this had to do with the rotor size as the rally's were 15" not 14" and the latter wouldn't fit over rotors.

Not positive on this, but should be close.

Francis

------------------
1967 El Camino
1970 El Camino SS/396

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Rally wheels were available on the 67 Nova and Camaro also. They were 14" with drum or disc brakes FWIW.

------------------
Dave
My 65 El Camino
Tri Power

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yes, there definitely were rally wheels in 67, and they were available on Novas, Chevelles, Camaros Corvettes and Impalas. No question about that. They were made in 14" AND 15" in 1967, and were available with or without disc brakes. The only 15" rally wheel on a camaro was the Z/28. SS camaros got 14x7 rally wheels.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Actually, I dont believe anything other than the Z/28 or the corvette had 15" rally wheels in 1967. The impala MAY have, but i'm pretty sure they only had 14"s as well as the Chevelle, Nova, and non Z/28 camaros.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
There were 4 sizes of 'Rally Wheels' in 1967. They were 14X5 (all Chevy IIs, Chevelles w/o Wide Ovals and/or big block, non-SS, non-Wide Oval Camaros), 14X6 (all Camaro & Chevelle SS plus Wide Oval Camaros & Chevelles), 15X5 (Big Chevies w/o Wide Ovals), 15X6 (Big Chevies with Wide Ovals, plus wagons; also Z28 & Corvette). Remeber that these were only for disk brake cars.

5" wide Rallys are '67 only (pretty rare).

15X7 debuted on Corvettes in '68, for 1969 went to Z28 & JL8 Camaros, Yenko Suspension Camaros & some COPO Chevelles that became Yenko SC. For '70 & beyond they were used on Monte Carlos through '77, plus '74-'77 Chevelles with radials ('75-'77 on El Caminos).

15X8 was Corvette exclusive from '69 - '82.

14X7 was for 1969 Camaro SS & COPO Camaros, plus '69/'70 Nova SS.

The later 6-slot design with expose lug nuts came along on the new for '70 Camaro, then replaced the 5-slot (14") design on Chevelles & Novas for '71 onward.

That highlights many specifics but is not all-inclusive. There were also some rare drum brake only Rallys that were produced from '68 - '70 (they won't clear disks).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.