Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Hemming Muscle Machines arrived today and glancing through it (before I read EVERY word on every page) I saw their lates musclecar price guide. The Chevelle prices look pretty inflated (good for those of us that have cars already). Supposedly they base these on many factors, one of which is actual transactions of late.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Before I get flamed for that one, I was poking fun at the other thread where someone said a 1968 SS396 car with a big block in it, that was described as nice looking but needed quarters, was only worth $1500.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Well there was a time when you could have bought a nice, running, super sport for under $500. I have heard the stories to prove it.
those weren't stories .... I bought quit a few even cheaper then that .....
but that was a Loooooooooonnnnnnng time ago now

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can remember in high school thinking people were high for paying $1800 for a clean musclecar!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Question...would you rather spend $45,000.00 on a used BMW M3 or $45,000.00 on a nicely restored Chevelle? There is no question in my mind and yes the Chevelle would get the nod. Why is it so hard to swallow the fact that the cars we all love are finally getting the admiration they deserve? It's like buying gold, a few years ago you could get an ounce for $350.00 and now it's $650.00! People have finally figured out what we've all know for years...these cars are just flat out COOL.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Well I finally realized that no matter how much complaining I do about the prices nothing will change. The ones that have the money to spend don't care and the ones that might care probably don't. But I heard about a '70 SS with the LS-6, M-22 and all the good stuff with a bench interior being sold for $1,000 or something like that around here in the early 70's. If only I was born 40 years earlier :-/. But I am convinced that there are still some deals to be had with these cars. After all 49,000 SS 396's made in 1970 they couldn't of all just disappeared. I guess I'll just save what I make do what I can and stop complaining about prices and just deal with it.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
When I was in high school in '82 we would buy and sell muscle cars all the time for less than 1k. They were nothing but "used cars" back then.

I've owned a 72 SS, a '71 malibu, '69 and a '68 SS.

I gave $1400 for the 72 SS in 1984. Sold it for $1200 bout 6 months later

I gave $700 for the '71

traded a 84 Mustang GT Turbo for the '69 then sold it to my bro-in-law. It was a nice little car with a 300hp 350 and factory 12 bolt.
That car was totalled by a guy that came to test drive it when my Bro-in-law was selling it. The guy rolled it several times while test driving it. It was a total loss:(.

The '68SS was bought new by my father and we still have it.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Sounds about right. Everything you see on ebay everything says ss in the title when 90% of them are just malibus its starting to get real old.

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Yeah, I sold my convertible a few weeks ago, for what I thought was a fair price (but on the high end of the range)... And now I wonder...

To make matters worse, I sold it specifically so I could buy something different and do some work on my other Chevelle. In my self-imposed price range for a "decent" muscle car (even a clone), I have found very little worth while...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
About 5 years ago, I went to look at a 65 malibu that was extremely clean. It had a stout 383, 4 speed, 12 bolt posi, and was very very nice. The guy was asking $6500.00 and I thought he was out of his mind. Now I would buy that car without even thinking about it. I often think how really grateful I am to have the chevelles I do, considering how much the chevelle and muscle car market has blown up over the last 2-3 years.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just wonder when gas prices go up to $20.00 a gallon, how much these cars will be worth. Nobody will be able to afford to drive them so they will only be worth anything to just collectors. Personally, if I could'nt afford to drive my car I would'nt want it. And that day is comming sooner then we think.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just wonder when gas prices go up to $20.00 a gallon, how much these cars will be worth. Nobody will be able to afford to drive them so they will only be worth anything to just collectors. Personally, if I could'nt afford to drive my car I would'nt want it. And that day is comming sooner then we think.
So I guess I have to get rid of my Silverado too as it only gets 15 MPG in town. That's about the same as my Chevelle when I don't have my foot in it. The wifes Honda S2000 only gets about 20 around town. If gas goes that high I suspect I'll just throw 3 more people in the Chevelle and ask for donations :yes: .

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If gas prices go up to $20.00 per gallon, everything else will increase in price, since oil provides transportation of goods, services, energy to run almost everything. At 7 times the current price, that means either we will all be making a lot more money or the US will come to a screeching halt.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts