Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are numbers on the bottom line of some Chevelle trim tags that may show special options. I am doing research on decoding the bottom line of the trim tag on 1969 Chevelles built in the Baltimore plant. The bottom line of the trim tag has the build date then some other numbers that show special order options. I am trying to build a data base of trim tag numbers and build sheets to decode these numbers. The Corvette and Camaro people have been doing this type of work and have figured out some of the codes. If you would like to share info on 1969 Chevelles built in Baltimore please e-mail me. If your car was built in Baltimore it will have BAL on the second line of the trim tag.
Thank You
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have a 1970 Custome El Camino; do you still want the info?

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Built on: November 25, 1969 in Baltimore
Green Mist #45 w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl Small Block
Factory Dual Exhaust and Rally Wheels
www.dreamelectric.com

·
Administrator
3,371 Posts
This has been on our site for a long time and was produced by David Kremer. Sometimes I forget how many files we really have stuffed in here.

http://www.chevelles.com/ref/64g.html

This was for the early year(s) and may be of some assistance. Dave did quite a bit of work, especially since it was a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I will take any info from the Baltimore cars. Then if it works out maybe it can be expanded to the other plants.
Al- I did a few searches of the site but didn't find that David Kremer post. What ever happened to him? Did he ever find out what all the codes mean?

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
CAUTION!, what you are about to read is only the opinion of the author which may or may not have any relationship to fact.

With that out of the way, I believe Alan Colvin (author of Chevrolet By The Numbers books) has that information based upon his exhaustive access and research of Chevrolet's records. HE WILL NOT RELEASE THE INFORMATION for fear of jeopardizing the ability to authenticate cowl tags and create more chop jobs. His position on the subject is written in the front of his books. He will authenticate your cowl tag - You tell him what the tag says and what your car has, he will tell you whether it's correct.

I am not saying that Alan Colvin can tell you whether you have a real SS or not (for cars built after '68).

I had an opportunity to spend a little time with him at Chevell-abration and we discussed this at length. Nice guy, very knowledgeable. Anyway, there is someone out there that can keep us partially honest.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know an e-mail address for Alan Colvin ? His Chevy numbers books are excellent.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We should all contact him, then make a table of all the results. Cowl code in one column, car options in the other, and finally whether the car is correct or not. Then we could figure it out for ourselves and we wouldn't have to buy the stinkin books! I love how he split them into 65-69 and 70-75, so we had to buy two!

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
425 Posts
Does Alan Colvin charge for his "service"???

How do we contact him??

If we want to test him, we should provide him a package of cowl tags for cars we know are real and some fakes and see how accurate he is.

The reward for him, if he passes the test, could be a banner and link on TC.

PS, I'll be happy to supply the info from my 70SS. As the original owner, plus I still have my POP, I have NO doubt about what options my car was ordered with.

------------------
Bill Taylor
TC Gold Member #73
www.chevelles.com/showroom/BillTSS70-2
www.chevelles.com/showroom/leaves2

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would be interested in this information also. I have a few cowl tags I could provide from BAL plant. Email me and I will send you the info. I have the POP and build sheet for one so I know it is correct.

------------------
Jeff
Georgia
69SS and 67 Elky

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I my opinion Alan Colvin's Chevrolet By The Numbers books are well worth their price.
He claims to know what the accessory codes are but I don't know how he can really understand what all the numbers mean without having a data base of a large amount of trim tags. These numbers are different by year, by model, and by the plants they were built in. I know the Camaro people are building a data base so I thought the Chevelle people should start one also. I'm collecting 1969 Baltimore trim tags just to get it started.

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
From what I remember, Alan has volumes of information that he copied while at Chevrolet, that has been subsequently destroyed by them. You must read the forward in his book to understand his dedication and reverence for this issue.

If I recall correctly, he is working on another book project currently dedicated to Camaros. I believe he has the same and better information on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.