Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this was a topic of discussion at one time before, but I have really noticed the shear number of these irritants on the rise. The volume of modified (ie. pricey wheels, lowered suspension and nitrous injected) street imports here in Houston, Texas is on the rise. They are crawling out of every nook and cranny in this town.

Now I have to wonder...who told this younger generation that these cars were cool? Who? What teenager in their right mind finds anything attractive or suductive about these imports? Sure, some of these cars sound really nice after stuffing Mega $$ into their stereo systems (I have to give them that much - I enjoy music that sounds really good) and raspy 'tin-can' exhaust systems but, it seems to end there.

What about these cars and their body lines and shapes? They cannot, in my opinion, come remotely close to looking as hot and seductive as a well cared for brute force Chevelle. Maybe I am 'aging' myself at the ripe old age of 30. Maybe. Generations do come and go but I still don't see the logic behind some of these current street trends. "Where's the Beef?" I ask.

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder these days. Besides, as our fearless president Hillary Clinton has so shamelessly said before, "It does take a village". Ahhh, the youth of today!

Thanks for taking this short journey through my thoughts - now let's hear yours. Based upon looks and overall beauty, why do you think pocket rockets are so quickly gaining in popularity?

------------------

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Well, I'm 21, not necessaraly the youth of america but I think there just isn't much offered in the way of muscle that a 16 year old kid flipin burgers can afford now. I mean when these first came out you had to save your money to buy one but the fact that you could buy a new car on money saved from a flipin burger job is a thing of the past. How can you afford a $25,000 camaro, mustang (sic), etc. on $5,000 a year? You just can't. And the thing is not many kids want a 30+ year old car. When some of you older guys or gals, (not wanting to offend
), went to buy a car, these cars were new or relatively new. I guess I look at things differently, and I like the way chevelles look. But look at it this way, I buy a chevelle for $2,000 that runs with maybe a bad paint job and a incorrect engine (350sb) and a th350. By the time I could get that chevelle faster than a new camaro and lookin nice, I'd have less than 1/2 in it than buying a new camaro. I guess I'm motivated by money but I think it's a better choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's just a fad and ignorance from much of today's youth...It won't last

There is a reason why they call Chevelles and other muscle cars CLASSICS.

As long as the few and the proud don't get Integras and the "Dukes of Hazzard" is still on TV, muscle cars will be the coveted car forever

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Well, I guess I would be called a 'youth in America' considering I just turned 17 last Thursday. I don't know what is with the imports either, the only thing I really dislike about them is the 'beancan' exhaust. If you take a look at my HS parking lot though, you'll see a bunch of new cars (their parents cars or they're filthy rich and got it for their 16th Birthday), No rice rockets(the full modified imports, there was one last year but the guy graduated), but mostly old cars. (Includes about 7 65&66 mustangs, my chevelle(soon my friends 65 his B-day is in April), 1 Elco(a 71), 3 Novas(2 63's & a 64), and 2 old 1/2 ton pickups (1 64 & 1 69)) And get this a lunch lady owns a 65 Nova SS and her boyfriend has a 65 Malibu SS(which she drives quite a bit(a full tilt restification))
Anyway I guess it hasn't caught on at my school yet!
Steve

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'm 32 and I was finally in a position to get my 70 Chevelle last spring. When I was in high school in the mid 80's, the cars that were popular were at least 10 to 15 years old to be affordable.

I watch a younger cousin just getting ready to graduate High school, spend 10 times what I had in high school on a car. I cringe at his 'project car'. Sure the 88 Honda is good on gas, and mechanically sound with ok paint. But I could not stand buy and watch him put on a $500 alarm, crappy window tint, $1000 wheels that stick out 3 inches, and a big $$ stereo. I had to say, WHAT THE F#c* for???

He just shrugged it off. He is a Tommy Hil-figer, all base music, jeans around his ankles follower. I think People that appreciate "Muscle cars" don't follow the crowd, we lead it with pedal to the floor!!!! Today's kid has no desire to put sweat equity into anything, let alone the mechanical maintence most older cars require (mine anyway). They want it now, abuse it, then throw it away, because that is the 'fast food' mentality of todays generation.

Of course I may be on a rant here, but lets hear what you think, dial 1-800 LACTOSE............

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu
[email protected]
www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Have any of you ever been asked by your parents/grandparents the following question:

"You call that music?!?! "

or how about "Is -that- what all the kids are wearing today?"

It really doesn't matter what they drive now, or next week, or next year. The previous group of people won't like it for some reason or another. You can't explain it, you can't fight it. All you can do is bithc about it.

Don't get me wrong, I make fun of the punks in the slammed S-10's and r/t Neons as much as any of us, but keep in mind that just as many of them are looking back as us thinking "What a bunch of old farts"

(Actually, I'd be amazed if any of them can think at all, what with the crappy music filling their heads and having to think with both brain cells about how they'll keep from triping over their wallet chains and the cuffs of those god awful bell bottoms. Why couldn't that fad die a quick death?)

Just be thankful in knowing that if you ever have the misfortune of running into one (literally), your Chevelle will cut through that 13 inch rimed, cracking woofer, neon trimmed, stupid euro race graphic'd heap like a knife through butter.

Kurt, who hasn't even touched upon his high level of distain for the local hippy community.

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I really don't see any of today's japtraps being called classics 20 or 30 years from now. Its really hard to imagine Year One stocking reproduction plastic parts for Hondas, Toyotas, or whatever. Sadly, the same can be said for most of today's domestic cars as well. My plan is to restore as many Chevelles as I can afford the next ten or fifteen years and leave them to my son, who is rapidly gaining an appreciation for these classics. As for those who slobber over imports and wouldn't have an American car if it were given to them, just think about this; next time the economy takes a dump and everyone is getting laid off, remember this bumper sticker slogan I saw a few years back,
"Hungry? then eat your Toyota!"

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 02-18-99).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
The other day I was looking at wheels on line and I came accross something that made me sick. American Racing wheels have a section on their web page that says "Race Fans" so I clicked on it and it brought up a picture of a Hopped up Honda. I was disgusted. If that is who they think they should make "race" wheels for, I don't think their wheels will be on my Chevelle. I dropped them a line to let them know it and they did not like it much. Mabey if they heard it from a few more people they would get the piont.

------------------
RRCHEVL69
[email protected]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Okay, I'm 19 and well . . . I've been lucky to get into the "right" side of the entire car debate, but to tell you the truth, the only reason I hate Imports is the way they race.

Because of the 4-valve head, they make little to now low end torque. It's not that noticeable because the cars are made of very thin metal or plastic composites, but the modifications are all made for the top end (and suspension mods are half-a$$ed--not necessarily good at high speeds). Even still, the people who race, race ON THE FREEWAYS. In NorCal, I have heard of at least one multiple-fatality accident per month due to racing on the freeways. Is it really worth it?

I can deal with the big stickers. I can deal with the lawnmower exhaust. I can deal with the giant subwoofers. I can deal with the Easter Egg colors they choose for paint jobs. I can not deal with the fact that their types of modifications force them to race on the freeways and kill people.

I would rather be encased in 3500 lbs of steel and able to launch off the line like a mad mother than be encased in 1500 lbs of fiberglass composite and pass people at 140.
--Amanda

[This message has been edited by CA Elky (edited 02-18-99).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
WOW, what is happening? I guess its just change. Its kind of funny that all these kids are getting these hopped up rice burners. When I talk to some of those kids at school, I just laugh at them. I mean by spending 20K, they get a car that maybe, JUST maybe reaches the 13's. I bought my 67 ELKY for 3800 and it beats them all. Its really scary now, that all of us are giving in to these cars, its inevitable. I just keep seeing more of them. Just after blowing one off the line, I pull up to the next light, and theres another one!! Well whatever, I usually can stand them, I just laugh at them and drive away (sometimes). You know what ticked me off the other day? One of the students at my school asked if I would rather have a 69 Camaro or a 99 BMW M3. Well of course I said the 69, and he flipped. Those new cars are nice, but what can the owner really do BY HIMSELF? I'm 18, and I eat sleep and breath my 67. Thats because I can work on it myself.
I read in an articule a while ago, that car manufacturers were going to seal the hood, so the owner couldn't get at the engine! Whats this BS? but its true, I work as a valet, and we had a porsche boxter in there, I was looking at it, and you cant open the hood! WOW why would you buy that?
Well, thats just the way it is, they'll come around (my generation hopefully) and see the light, but until then, make them blurs in the mirror.

DJ van Arkel
Proud owner of a 67 ELKY
NOR CAL all the way!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I too am a youngster at 18 years old. at my high school we have a large population of orientals so naturally there are a lot of imports (rice rockets as they are called). The thing that I find is that these kids get cars from their parents and of course a chinese imigrant fairly new to this country isnt going to buy thier kid an old american car. So most of the time these guys have to do what they can with what they have.
I have no problem myself with rice rockets as long as they are actually kinda fast not just plain 4 bangers with graphics and spoilers that have no balls. Unfortuantly, the majority of rice rockets out there are not fast. They would rather have the looks on the outside and no guts under the hood. Personally, I would rather have a primered car with only a drivers seat and 500hp than a cherry car that had a dog for an engine.
Basically, if the rice rocketers have the same state of mind as me, not just making the car look fast, I dont have a problem with them, its the cars that are slow with spoilers and rims etc. that make me laugh in their face.

Another Nor Cal guy...

------------------
Jon Bush
66 Malibu Sport Coupe
Fremont CA, birthplace of many a chevelle
http://members.tripod.com/jon66bu/jon1.htlm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, speaking for the old farts in the group (I'm 50), I have noticed at the car shows that you tend to restore what was popular when you were a teen. Guys in their 60's are the ones that own the 40's era Plymouths, Chevys and Fords, while the muscle cars are owned by more middle age geezers like me. But there's always exceptions to this theory and you young guys prove that, and I admire anyone younger than 30 that is wild about 60's and 70's cars. I'm personally not crazy about the modern rice rockets 'cuz there's too many of 'em to be unique. I hate to see where the car resoration hobby is headed, especially with the smog controls that tend to limit what you can do to a car. But I can see more of the early 80's FWD stuff getting popular...I don't necessarily like it but I wouldn't rule it out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can you imagine someone restoring a turbo mirage 30 years from now....
I'm 25, I absolutely love "muscle car era" cars BUT...I can see the attraction to some newer cars(drove a supra twin turbo recently, love it) Newer cars are way more available and acessable. (read lot'o'payments!)
And yes they will be around a long long time, If the NHRA is willing to set 'em up you know it's a money maker!

------------------
Sean Flanagan
Heavy '73

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Okay, how many of you younger guys (and gals) out there, were brought up with parents who loved muscle cars or owned anything vintage or classic? I think thats where it all starts. I'm 45 and have been in love with the "older cars" since I was 4. That's when my older brother first tought me how to draw a '48 chevy pickup.

My first car was bought for $500. I was 20 and it was a '55 2dr sedan, straight 6, 3-on-the-tree. I'm still kicking myself for letting it go.

I'm now the father of a beautifull 20 year old daughter in her 2nd year of college who drives a piece of crap Jap car ('93 eclipse), but who drove for 2 years of high school a '71 Chevelle 2dr sedan. At the age of 14, she could tell the difference between '55's, '56's, and '57's. By the time she was old enough to drive the chevelle, she knew the difference between most years of Chevelles. She loves her "Jap" car, because its cheap on gas, but I'm alowed to mention (even jokingly) about selling the Chevelle. I'm the 2nd owner, but she claims it as hers. It's in the process of getting a make-over and she is very anxious to see the outcome. During the time she drove it in high school, she met lots of guys just interested in talking to her about the car. I think she wants to take to college now. We'll see.

Anyway, my point is, us "older guys" need to pass along our love for the "classics" to our children and maybe to the kid next door if we want to see our hobby continue into the next generation. It ain't easy, but who said life was going to be easy.

Well, there, those are my thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
622 Posts
1 - I am an old fart (47).
2 - stuff changes - learn to live with it, BUT you do NOT need to like it.
3 - I love v-8s, 50/60s cars - others don't.
4 - Most people in America want only "NEW" things, musclecars are "old" thus "bad".
5 - Most interesting is; what WILL be considered "classic" 10/20/30/40 years from now.I will be watching in amazement.
6 - this phenomenon leaves more "classic" cars for us muscle car enthusiasts, thus it is a good thing.
7 - I also think the Jap sewing machines suck

------------------

·
Registered
92 Posts
...and Corvette guys thought Chevelles were too big or too slow or too something. And 55'- 57' fans thought that the new muscle 64'- 70' lacked style. Not sure why it's necessary to judge anyone who seeks to improve the performance of their ride. I wouldn't own one either, but then again, I don't have to.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Everybody makes good points. I graduated HS in '69 which, as far as I'm concerned, was the middle of the "muscle car" era. The only guys that had the 'new' cars were the spoiled, rich kids. The rest of us did what we're still doing today...we built/modified our own. You could always tell who we were by the constantly dirty (ground-in grease) hands. The rich kids were few, so they stayed to themselves and didn't really mingle with 'our type'. We were the majority.

If you think about it...what do today's kids (the majority) have to work with? Little crappy cars that have miles of wiring and plumbing stuffed into little engine bays. If you're not a professional mechanic, and you've tried figuring out what's wrong with one of these things, you're probably a bit intimidated by it all, like me. The government standards have practically put a band around the engine, like the toilets in a motel that says, "Sanitized For Your Protection".

Point is...what else can they do to make it their own and be proud of what they can afford? Trust me, I don't like it all either, but they can change the exhaust, change the wheels, and crank up the volume. That's about it! We had tons of parts available, and interchangability with most anything. I wasn't concerned about the radio in my cars back then...you couldn't hear it over the exhaust anyway!

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
A few comments on the subject (I'm 40):
I have mixed feelings on the subject.
#1) At least they are doing their modifications on cars that will probably never be classics.
#2) Considering what is out there, what's a kid to do? I think if the majority of cars on the road were affordable rear wheel drive American cars, we wouldn't be having this conversation (except for the subwoofer thing). I would imagine that a large percentage of them are driving hand-me-downs that their parents bought 5-10 years ago.
#3) How many of us had our cars "jacked-up" and headers with a pair of cherrybombs bolted to the collectors. Or other modifications that either made the car handle worse or make it unsafe, or generally a public nuisance? My guess is since their motors can'r generate enough noise, they let their stereos do it

Now for my story:
My son (16) and I are "doing" a '72 Nova 2 door 350/350. When we first started the project a year or so ago, I asked him how he wanted to do it (keep it stock, make it a street rod, etc). His response was "I don't care...just as long as it runs" and " Why do we have to rebuild the engine..I don't care if it smokes a little...". Now that we are getting to the point of actually rebuilding the engine, I posed the same question to him again. His response this time was " I want it hot...I want to show up all the kids at school with their Hondas and Toyotas" . Kind of made me feel like Jack in the latest Jack-in-the-Box commercial:"--sniff--- That's my boy..."

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yea, Gene! If more of us spent more time with our kids, they would probably develop similar tastes. My 9-year-old can talk about nothing other than getting his first Chevelle! A couple of points:

1. When I bought my first Chevelle I was surprised how many young kids would stop dead in their tracks to stare as I drove by - they DO like muscle cars. I receive countless compliments from the 9 to 19 year group.

2. I think they tend to buy cars they know they're not supposed to know how to work on - because they don't know how to work on cars. That's where we come into the picture!

------------------
Stan Hanek
'70 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gee, I truly didn't expect this many responses to my original post. Apparently this has been on the minds of many fellow Chevelle owners. I have to agree with many of the responses in that most younger people are simply influenced by street trends among their peers and that most parents are buying their kids' car. I suppose that parents are not concerned about finding a classic Chevy for their children's first ride, but are thinking more in the lines of economy and fuel mileage. Parents, don't forget the classics!

Speaking of parents, my wife and I are expecting our first baby (A BOY - YES!) in 5 weeks and 3 days (you may not hear from me for a while after he gets here). I have to wonder what kind of trends will be influencing Skyler's peer group when he turns 18 years young. If he has just a touch of the infatuation that dear ol' Dad has for killer Chevy's (particularly Chevelles), then I am in hopes that he too will enjoy restoring and driving them as well.

My wife is jokingly concerned about my desire to share 'race cars' with our son...if I had my way, we would purchase a miniature Chevelle and hop up that Briggs and Stratton power plant for the little tike. (Anyone know where I could find such a thing?!) hehe

Over the past two years, I have heard from so many father-son posts on this site and I am SO thankful that I too will have the opportunity to share my passion with my son soon. My Dad was an international airline pilot and when he WAS home, modifiying cars just wasn't in his plans (jet lag is a huge energy drainer). Being able to share and bond with Skyler over hot rods is something I so look forward to doing - all in good time I suppose - I have to get past lots of dirty diapers first
. Have fun with your rides this weekend and remember Dads, it is up to us to train our sons and daughters in the way they should go - to someday own a classic, brute force Chevelle. Long live American made muscle cars!

------------------

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.