Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I went to the store and when I tried to start my car it would not start, after a while it did start, this used to happen when the car would be sitting in the hot sun, it was very hot that day. Today I tried to start the car after not using it for a couple of days (I have it in my garage) and it doesn't start, it doesn't even make a noise, the lights and radio work fine. I have an optima Red top battery on it that I bought back in February, it does have an alarm, could the alarm be draining it, after seeing all the posts I felt that the red top would be ok, but now I'm not sure, please help. Also, how do I get my car to start if it is the battery?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I saw that nobody has answered your question, have you fixed your car yet?
What type of ignition are you running, distributor, etc.?
Have you put a meter to the battery and cked to see if it is charging while engine is running?
When engine running, you should see above 13.5 Volts DC. Does it take jumping the car battery to start it every time?
Does the battery need recharging every time you can't get it to start? An engine will run on battery alone, although, not very long depending on what other electrical components are being used.
Before the problem, did you install any new electronic equipment, or remove and replace any electronic devices in the car? If so, start there.
I would start with the basic cks as well. First see if the battery is charging. How old is the battery?
Make sure alternator is charging. Most Autozones, or Checkers/Kragens will ck it for free.
If it seems to drain over night, remove half of your fuses and see if the battery drains. If it doesn't narrow it down to those circuits you removed the fuses to.
If it does drain the battery, start narrowing it down within the fuses you didn't take out.
Let me know if you need more info. This site is a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I wiggled the connections/cables and it started, I might have a loose cable, I really don't know a lot about cars, my battery is new, I just bought it this year, I rarely use the car, just about once a week, it doesn't have any thing added to it, most of the items are original. I really don't know what it could be because last time this happened about 15 years ago, I got everything checked and replaced, I wrote another post right before I wrote this one explaining in more detail. I was hoping that buying the red top gel Optima battery would solve this problem, the wonderful thing was that I didn't have to start the car every 3 days, but now I think I might go back to that. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It sounds like the dreded heat soak no start condition. Did it start later after the engine cooled? If so, that's it.

Sometimes a bad battery can intermittently act up. I had one I bought brand new that seemed to be sensative to heat. When it got hot, it wouldn't crank the starter.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
i would make sure you have a good connection to your battery. Both pos and neg. I know when i have disconected my battery then put it only semi-snug just to see if things would work, sometimes the headlights work, but the car won't crank. Just put the cable all the way on the batt terminal, and started fine. I'm guesiing you are experiencing a bad battery connection. Battery wires can be corroded even if they don't look it from the outside.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Was your car doing this before you got the new battery? Was that the Positive cable you were wiggling? If so, It sounds like a loose connection to the starter. You can try looking down thru the headers and see if the cable end is loose from the solenoid when you wiggle it. I'm not to familar with the dreded heat thing, but I guess that can be it too. If that the case I would definetly call Optima. You can also try hooking up a volt meter to the battery to see if you have 12 volts when the car is off, and 14 when it's on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has been doing this for all the time I've had it (15 years) and the times my parents had it (about 20 years). It's just very strange, I didn't think the battery terminals could get corroded if I used a gel-battery. It's just very strange considering that it used to do this often when I first started driving the car, back in the early '90s, but then some little wire was changed that was near the starter (I had actually had the starter rebuilt) and it was fixed until now. I haven't been driving it around a lot lately (especially because it has been hot where I'm from)so I haven't experienced the problem, I wrote another post on this, I just don't know what it is. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts