Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my Chevelle is now in MY garage finally as of yesterday. Still waiting to sell our former house before my wife gives me my "Chevelle allowance". It will come to about $ 6,000.00. For now, I have limited funds. I was planning on cleaning up the mess the previous owner did to the car (see pics at website) since money is scarce. The previuos owner painted the car and oversprayed everything in the engine compartment. I figure it is low cost to start cleaning up. Also they have chromed engine parts that were not original chrome, i.e. the radiator plate cover and alternator shield. My question is:

What is good to take paint off of chrome (valve covers) and rubber (hoses)? I want to preserve the rubber and chrome. I do not care about the metal. I will repaint the car anyway so if I go down to metal on the body it is no big deal. I have heard brake fluid. Any other thoughts?

If I do remove paint to the metal what is the best way to cover, i.e. what primer?

Can I paint over the parts that have been chromed. They are original parts and I would like to keep them? Do I prime first then paint and what black is best used for originality?

Is there a good document that shows me what color things really should be in the engine compartment and for instance the headlight area, etc. that was painted yellow as well?

The big question. What to do with the $ 6,000.00. I would like to rebuild the engine, transmission, and redo brakes suspension, etc. I may have a little left to start on the body. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the help in advance.

------------------
Steve Petzer - Richmond, VA
1969 SS Chevelle Convertible project
members.tripod.com/~The_Petzers/chevpic01.html
1977 El Camino Classic

·
Registered
38 Posts
carb cleaner will take paint off chrome...
sand those chrome parts, but if u cant scratch a certain area it might not stick worth a darn..."original"parts that are chrome that shouldnt be chrome prob arent original!

------------------

·
Registered
740 Posts
When i got my car the paint was oversprayed over emblems on my car i didn't even know i had the over spray was so bad but what i did was take them out and use LAQUER THINNER to clean them up and u would never even know they were sprayed they shine like no tommorow and it was really quick also laquer thinner is a little cheaper then brake fluid

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I use brake fluid and/or laquer thinner for the plastic parts, i.e. plastic electrical connectors, parking light housing, chrome valve covers, etc.?

------------------
Steve Petzer - Richmond, VA
1969 SS Chevelle Convertible project
members.tripod.com/~The_Petzers/chevpic01.html
1977 El Camino Classic

·
Registered
314 Posts
IMHO I would not use brake fluid as a cleaner. It has the potential to do way more damage to parts than good. Its also one of the messiest fluids known to man just under auto trans fluid. my .02... As for cleaning plastic items, laq. thiner may eat them.. Use something safe like castrol purple stuff, simple green, and a good scotchbrite pad or steel wool.

jody
71ss454
ACES

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.