Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, my Chevelle is in the hospital right now, and I am planning on doing some major rebuild work.. I need to fix the suspension, drop in a new motor, and re-upholster the interior, and swap from bench to buckets.. I would also like to drop in a 4-speed, cause I ain't going through all that work if the motor's not gonna be a "Mighty Mouse". I'm sure many of ya'll have done this sort of thing, and what I'm looking for is the Saturday night ground pounder that only see's the drive-in's and local cruise strip..

So.. Where should I start? I'm wanting a far-out Chevelle, I know people that'll do custom paint jobs, help me on the motor, suspension, etc.. I just need a direction to start from. I've got a tranny shop with lifts, etc that I can use, so tools and space isn't a problem.. Also, what are the suggestions for most power building radical 350? I'm wanting a 350 o 383 stoker, with a 400 crank, and different everything, and I swear I'll do it too..

------------------
Scott, 20
Dallas, 70 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
948 Posts
Why put buckets in? I think a bench with a 4 spd. would be cool. Maybe some tuck'n'roll bench seats would be cool. Ceratinly be an eye catcher cause it's different. I saw a 69 Roadrunner 383 4 spd. with the black bench & wooden shifter knob. Way cool! As for 350's, I haven't built one up. I know I know. Most popular engine, but I didn't do any engine work when I had the 72. Hope this somewhat helps. Oh, & benches are more comfortable & more convienent if you have a big friend in the car.

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu
surferwagons.8m.com

·
Registered
144 Posts
Go to www.paceparts.com and get their latest GM Performance Parts Catalog (its online, too). Find the ZZ430 350ci and look at everything it has on it and put all the parts on yours! Guaranteed 430hp! Or, to save some money, check out the parts and find similar equipment in Jeg's or Summit for better prices (except the heads; the specs on the GM "Fast Burn" heads look AWESOME!).
I would pull the engine and tranny out first and do what you want with 'em. In the meantime, you can easily get to the front suspension and brakes on the car. Do those while/after you work on the drivetrain. When you want to paint it and do interior work is up to you. I'm sure you'll want to paint the inner fenders, right? Obviously, do this before you put the engine in!
Good luck and if you need anything else, this site is definitely the place to go.

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
Team Chevelle #298
www.chevelles.com/showroom/72CHEVELLE1.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the idea of the bench seat too. I love bench seats, it's like cruising and sitting on the couch at the same time and it's not that common anymore. As for the engine, if I had the money I would like to go with a 383 stroker running a tri-power carb set up with a Richmond 6-speed manual transmission. Thats something you don't see every day. These are just some thoughts.
Mikey
'68 Malibu

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you're wanting something different under the hood, how about the opposite of the 383- a 377? A 400 block with a 350 crank(and bearing spacers). Seems everyone has a 383 underhood now, kinda passe'. A 377 has a bore/stroke ratio similar to the 327, with more cubes. They are a revving combo.
As for induction, how about a set of Hilborn injectors retroed with today's elecronic control- very hip.
Just my .02, Bryan

------------------
Team Chevelle #514
'65 Malibu frame-off project(slow going!)
'70 C-20 Longhorn p/u (daily driver)

·
Registered
193 Posts
My son's 67 was originally a bench seat 4 speed. He wanted buckets so we put them in. He won again!! But I tried to talk him into leaving the bench, they are cool I think. I had a 66 with a bench and 4-speed when I was a kid, Many moons ago! Seems between him and my wife I never win, ha ha! Just my thoughts.

------------------
Steve

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
If you are going small block I see some awsome deals on crate engines . If you are on a budget why not get a goodwrench $1249 and add a cam and some head work . I have to agree about the bench seat issue I almost bought a Heavy Chevy solely because it was a bench 4 speed . As far as where to start figure what you can spend. I am assuming the body is descent (Texas) If so I would pull the drive train and detail everything this is a good time to do the front end rebuild . I had to turn my back on a few cars when I was younger Its great to build a killer eng but you still need $ for the rest of it. Good Luck Mike

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think your budget is the most important factor.
I bought my ZZ430 from www.sallee-chevrolet.com They have excelent prices and service. The In Thing now-a-days are to blow all your money on functional items ie; engine, trans, suspension, safety, and of course a BIG SHOT of nitrous

GM tested a ZZ4 punched out to 383 with 9.5:1 compression, 540" lift roller cam single plane manifold, 750cfm Holley, and GM Fast-Burn heads that developed 497HP at an incredibly low 5800rpm!

referance: pg53 of 1999 GMPP catalog My ZZ430 idles at 750rpm and is deceivingly
powerfull and very streetable

For suspension check with Global West Suspension www.globalwest.net

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool! I didn't think a bench would fit right with a four speed. Anybody got any pictures? Sounds good all the suggestions.. I'll check out the GMP catalog, and the goodwrench motor. Thanks!

------------------
Scott, 20

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Scott, bench seat "elles have that bent shifter handle to go around the bench. For older cars, I too like the bench. Better for certain recreation excersizes. Just don't let her get ahold of that shifter knob!

Most folks recommend doing the mechanical stuff first, then the cosmetics. ( All show and no go syndrome).

My suggestion, pull the motor and start riggin up your clutch stuff if you really want a 4 speed. That'll take a bit if you do it yourself. You'll have to scrounge up a 4 speed.

I would definitely buy a crate motor. Again, check some of the engine shops in the area to see what they have as well. I saw a huge deal on a 350 hp 350. So as your getting your clutch parts in you can be searching for the right mill. Hopefully when your clutch is ready, your pocketbook is ready to buy a motor and plug it in.

Option 2 is to find a late model 350/5 speed combo in a salvage yard somewhere. Since you don;t have a clutch linkage in the car yet, you could probaby use one of the new hydrualic ones.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 12-27-1999).]

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you want something different!!! Get a crate motor (Goodwrench). Get two turbo chargers (with intercoolers) from a boneyard. Add mild mods to the motor and fabricate the turbo mounting brakets and induction and exhaust system. Add a 3rd party fuel injection system that you can tune and you'll be producing gobs of HP, while getting great gas milage. The latest issue of Chevy High Performance talks about the latest rave of turbo charging.

A friend of my added twin turbo chargers with intercoolers to his 71 911. Had a trial and error phase (burned holes in a couple pistons), but he is now getting 10 to 14 lbs of boost. It's one wild ride!!! It plants you in seat and handles like it's on rails.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Depends how soon you want to get it going. I would certainly recommend the bench seat/4 spd combo. My 72 came that way from the factory. Even the Hurst comp-plus shifter I put in came with the proper handle to go perfectly around the seat! The bench seat is great. On long trips, I actually think it is more comfortable than the original buckets these cars came with. Gene was right on about the "recreational activities", far more room than the back seat, and that shifter is great for leverage, just make sure you aren't relying on the transmission being in gear to keep the car from moving! Set your parking brake, that's how it got it's name, but that's another story, sorry to get off track.

As far as the motor. If you are on a budget (who isn't?) I'd start lining up parts you need first, like the stuff for the 4spd swap, while watching for used engines. If you are careful, and watchful, you can snag some awesome deals on recently rebuilt engines. Seems like anytime you have an engine built, a couple weeks later you stumble on a deal on a good motor. I'd go 383 or 400 (406) small block looks like a small block, no one can tell whats inside. I'd do what others have suggested, and be different on the induction system. Are there many TPI retro fits in your area? They look cool, and perform well. While your at it, watch/look for complete TPI powerplants from late 80's early 90's Camaros and Firebirds. Even the 305's run strong, run well, and get awesome gas mileage. Maybe an old cross ram intake from a 302? I have heard they run kinda crappy though.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are my plans as of today... Slap me if I'm being silly.

4-speed swap, keeping the bench.. HOWEVER!! I hate bent long handled shifters.. I'm going with a Hurst Super Shifter 3 on the floor. Hope it fits. (anybody know?) I'm really hard n a shifter, and the longer handles don;t loo kthat sturdy.. Although, I'm not really sure how long it wil lbe, I've never seen one..

Motor.. I'm going with the strongest possible 383 setup. I'm going to take the block I have, bore/vat... .30 over. 400 forged crank, forged pistons and rods.. Everybody says the GM Fast Burn heads are nice, so I'll check those out. I'm removing the A/C equipment, etc. I'll be using MSD 6AL/with dizzy and coil. Now here's my decision I'm trying to make. And I have to make it before I buy all my parts.. To Blow, or not to Blow. I can afford a Blower. I'm willing to spend the money on a Blower. But I've never even had the pleasure to touch a blower, therefore I'm not familiar with these. I know the motor has to be low compression, and that's all. What do yall think I should do? I can spend the money to make a high compression motor, or a low one with a blower. I just don;t knwo what to do exactly, and what kind of work I'm looking at..

All I'm really looking for is a weekend toy..
I gess I'll justpost a new thread on thatlast question..

------------------
Scott, 20

[This message has been edited by speedr8413 (edited 12-28-1999).]

[This message has been edited by speedr8413 (edited 12-28-1999).]

·
Registered
167 Posts
When people see a blower their expectations rise tremendously. Better be prepared to back it up with suspension and drivetrain mods to make it really quick! As far as the length of the shifter lever, and being hard on it, mine is exactly what Hurst sent for the application on the Comp-plus, and I've never had any problems, and I have been known to shift rather aggressively. It really isn't that long, I'd have to say 14" or less (car is stored away 100 miles away). You want to make your car look a little different, get a short pistol grip shifter lever from a Mopar and graft it on. I've always loved those!

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.