Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the #'s on my 67 chevelle's engine have to match the body #'s How do you determine original engine. I can buy an engine the guy took out of a 67 SS396 20 years ago. Can I put that in my 67SS396 and call it original. I need an explanation.

·
Premium Member
17,553 Posts
On the assembly line, the car serial number (last 6 digits) were stamped on the machined pad in front of the passenger side head.

It should look something like:
T0317 EG123456

Where 123456 would match the cars vin#

This number will also include a 2 letter code that indicates engine size, basic transmission type (auto or stick), horsepower and application (Chevelle, Camaro, Impala, etc). There will also be a date code stamped there.

If you post those numbers here (in the "Tag Team" section), I am sure folks here would be happy to tell you about the engine. If the numbers are still there, you will know if it really was from a 67 Chevelle, etc...

As for portraying the engine as the original, there are many opinions, but thats up to you. Could be considered fraud if you attempt to sell it as the original motor.

[This message has been edited by 1966_L78 (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
If the application code and casting dates matched, you could say its NOM (not original motor) but is correct as far as the option codes go. This would be the same as if it had a warranty replacement motor put in back in the '60's. This is all assuming that you have the build sheet and can verify what motor and transmission it came with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.