Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering a general question and would like to hear opinions from others, more experienced than I.

What do you think will happen once the older generation of today gets rid of there chevelles or any old car? From what I've seen there aren't that many "young" or shall I say "generation X" people interested in old hot rods or classics as the older generation of today.

Now don't get me wrong, I do know of a few younger people interested in or already own older cars, but it's not as plentiful as the generation of today. Most of the younger crowd would rather have a honda type car because they want to be like the "Fast and the Furios".

So, my question is, do you think in the next half century, the craze for the classic (muscle) car will go up or down? Do you think everyone will forget about the "good ol' days" if they are able to hop into their new space age design and fly away, or do you think they will be enough of us (old car lovers) still around to keep the fever alive?

BTW I'm only 21

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
i predict that the price of 70 Chevelles and 69 Camaros will plummet, and the value of 74 Monte Carlos will go thru the roof.

·
Premium Member
16,879 Posts
There enough of us younger guys out there to carry on with the older cars. I'm about to turn 27 and I've had almost 20 cars that are 35+ years old. Right now I have 8 that are 1974 or older :). See the thing is, we don't try to act like morons like most of the owners of cars of the asian persuasion do so we go a little less noticed.

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Predicting the future ? well look to the past, how many guys still drive T model fords around ? not many right ? but they're horrible to drive so that's why hotrods are huge ! so if we haven't run out of oil in 20 years I'd say collectors and our children may still have the passion hopefully.
Dave

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Well after the current generation gets too old to enjoy this hobby, the next gen coming up will be installing 28 inch tall tires on the early 90s caprices. Think about the t bucket guys got replaced with the tri five craze, then to the muscle car craze. figure about a 15-20 year gap in generations so the late 80s and early 90s stuff will be the thing. So I think we should all start dumping the muscle cars and start picking up as many impalas, caprices, crown vics. while theyre still cheap. Who knows maybe craig jacksons kid will be sitting up in scottsdale auctioning off the rare survivor police package crown vics with exploding gas tanks in 20 years. Heck they even have names for these cars I think the round mid ninties caprices are called "bubbles" Jim

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
nothing made in the 80s will ever be collectable ! Even most of the music was awfull ! But they said that about the 70s ? So start buying up "air supply" LPs, 3rd gen camaros and C5 vettes ? naaaaaa
dave

·
Premium Member
16,879 Posts
nothing made in the 80s will ever be collectable ! Even most of the music was awfull ! But they said that about the 70s ? So start buying up "air supply" LPs, 3rd gen camaros and C5 vettes ? naaaaaa
dave
I disagree, ask anyone that ones a Grand National, GNX, 442, Hurst/Olds, Grand Prix 2+2, Monte Carlo SS standard & Aerocoupe models. Those cars hold their value and are beginning to creep up.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I personally feel the Musclecars will still be popular in the future. However, in a slightly different direction. We've seen this direction come to the forefront in the past ten years, that being more of the "modified" variety or "personalized" if you want to call it that. When I got back in the hobby 15 years ago, and went to a car show for example, I would say there were maybe 20-25% modified at that time. Today I think that number is closer to 60%. There will always be a segment that prefer the original appearance, but it is getting smaller every year it seems. My preference is toward the slightly modified or "DAY II" look. That is what we did to them back in the sixties when we were buying them new.

Just my meager two pennies worth.

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
we may even see alot of "state of the art" mechanical and electrical components fitted to bring them more up to date with the latest standard car type features ? like quad cam alloy engines, F1 paddle shift auto, abs, air bags, custom leather interiors etc etc. personally, I stop at wheels, exhaust and stereo.
dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
well im in both the honda scene and the muscle car scene. What i see a lot of is the older guys in the honda scene getting moving on to better cars. For me personally it was the younger kids coming and messing it up. Not everyone in the hondas are street racers. A lot of real honda people build there cars to drive it. I think as long as there are people to build the cars, the chevelles will stay. But i have no problem if the chevelles get rare. It will make me love mine even more

·
Registered
684 Posts
Muscle cars will NOT die! It was the era of body lines, raw power, and bragging prestige. I think the future will be "Crate" muscle cars. You can already buy a complete steel convertible Camaro in a box and fiber glass bodied hot rods. As the muscle car continues to get older and harder to find the pre-fab companies will tool up for more styles of cars. 80's cars are getting pricey too. Any 80's car that still has a full frame has double in price in the last decade. 78-87 Malibu/El Caminos used to be you couldn't give them away and now just try to find a decent one under $5k.
And if all the oil in the world dries up then I'm sure there will be synthetic grain based fuel to use in our old hot rods.

Oh and have a extensive collection of 80's Music. Poison, Rush, Ratt, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Bob Seger and... and... well you get the point...

Air Supply LOL......

·
Registered
167 Posts
Muscle cars will NOT die! It was the era of body lines, raw power, and bragging prestige. I think the future will be "Crate" muscle cars.
I agree with JR here. As one of the "younguns", I think right now what we're seeing is that the hobby has become cost prohibitive. I wouldn't be able to afford my car now if I bought it in the same shape as I did in 98. I'd be looking at 5-6k easy and the thing was a basket case. :p

Although the hobby of rebuiding cars might change, I don't think the love of classic muscle will ever die. :)

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
The muscle car market will become something similiar to the street rod market. Not much left in good original metal, but plenty of new replacement bodies. Its already beginning to start.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I wonder if we will ever see a Chevelle with a future engine in it like hydrogen or biodiesel or even something else. (We see em with LS1s today)... Wouldn't it be wild seeing them in the future with something crazy like 3000hp and them laughing at us with our puny 700hp...

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Give me a break. My opion and the opion of most the guys I know is the peak has passed.I hope so anyways.Maby when the kazillionaires at B.J.s get tired of passing their money from one to another and the cars are worn out just from running them on and off the trailers that circus will be over.Then maby the younger guys that are having a tough time trying to raise a family will be able to afford a blast from the past like their dad had when they was a kid.I know I paid too much for my 66 but when I look at it I dont think about what its worth,I think about what it is.:beers:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I wonder if we will ever see a Chevelle with a future engine in it like hydrogen or biodiesel or even something else. (We see em with LS1s today)... Wouldn't it be wild seeing them in the future with something crazy like 3000hp and them laughing at us with our puny 700hp...
i think daryl hannah has a biodeisel elky....

around here, just as many young people as old, drive old cars, and not just old cars, but quite a few classics. in my neighborhood, every few homes or so has a classic car in the garage, within a block of my home, there is a 68 dart g.t. convertable, several chevelles, several camaro's, countless corvettes.

in the area where i work, the stuff i see on a daily basis, is just crazy. i think a lot of families have in one way or another decided a classic, or muscle car needs to be part of the family.

i'm not sure the the quest for that perfect classic car will ever go away. heck recently my father in law sold a pretty rough model a truck, for 15k, that's about 6k more than he paid a few years back, and then it was in running condition.

i'm around a lot of kids, and let me tell you, they all want classic cars. when i go to my "little's" home, the kids swarm the 71 olds like a bunch of bees. when i have kids over to the house, and somebody goes missing, i never go to the pool to see if somebody drowned, i go to the garage and find them sitting in the elky.

even if interest waines, the supply isn't getting any bigger, and besides the occasional great deal, and the prices leveling off, there will still be a demand for something that goes back to simpler times. if you don't believe me, go to one of the major rat rod shows, these aren't retired people in thier later stages of life, they are young adults, many with families, dressing, and living the simpler lifestyles of our parents. 60's wagons with pic nic baskets (when was the last time any of you saw a pic nic basket?) kids in dungarees running everywhere, and guys just hangin out and havin a beer.

you may not see as many big $ cars changing hands, but i don't think you'll ever stop hearing the stories of how some guy got his car, and when he's ready to get rid of it, most don't have too much trouble finding a buyer, if it's a quality ride...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree, the peak has passed. I think prices will continue to fall in the coming years due to lack of demand. 10-20-30 years down the road the current generation of pimply faced, snot nosed (as we once were) kids are going to look back at what cars thrilled them and what cars they couldn't afford. By the time they are in their 30's and 40's, they'll be able to afford those cars. Remember, the baby boom was the largest age bracket, the next generation (X and Y's), well there will be fewer with less interest in what the old man drove. Most of these rice cans now a days have so much more going for them over the muscle cars.
Think what the fossil fuel situation may be like in 20 years, think about the current and on going immagration situation.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts