Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at a car show and i saw a chevelle with an air dam under the front bumper. it made the car look really mean. i want to know if i have to make one or can i buy them somewhere?????

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Probably one pirated from a ' 70 GSX Buick, they do look mean.I have rolled that idea around along with the rear spoiler.Hey, why am I giving away my secrets? Check with any of the aftermarket Buick vendors like Year One, Poston's, or try a Buick GS webpage.They have vendors links just like we do.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been searching for one for sometime, and have found no luck for one that is built for a chevelle. The best ideas I've seen so far are adaptations from a Camaro, or a Buick- or doing major fabrication yourself.

I'm trying to make my car more stable at high speed. It feels like it's floating at 100+. An air dam is as far as I'd like to go as ground effects go though. Last thing I need is a neuspeed chevelle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good question, Dave. I was just about to ask this very same question myself. I wonder why we don't see more air dams on muscle-car era racers?

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
I've been toying with using one off of a mid-80's Chevy truck. From the front it's about 2" flat accross with a perpendicular mounting flange. The objective is to keep as much air from underneath the car as possible. I also want to try side skirts.

The latest Muscle Car Review showed a rare GTO rear air dam similar to the ones found on the second gen. Camaro. I would like to see one patterned just like that for the '68-72 Chevelle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Alan- if you make an attempt at side skirts, you'll need to post pictures. A chevelle with full ground effects would be a site to see.

Doc- I think we don't see many air dams is because most of the cars raced in trans am style racing already have them (i.e, camaros, corvettes, etc). The chevelle is a bigger car, so most guys don't race them outside of the 1/4 mile.. and air dams and aerodynamics aren't as important until you start getting into sub 11 second cars. (aerodynamics are always important, but its fairly easy to push a brick into the 12's with just HP and torque).

Maybe we should all team together to build one, mass produce it, and sell it to the five other guys out there who think a chevelle with a air dam is a good idea.

Wes

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Okay, basicly and air-dam is what it says it is. It is a front spoiler designed to keep more air going over the top of the car than under. Air going under tends to make the care a kite and a 3000+lbs kite sucks! Examples of air-dams can be found on GSX, RS/Z28 Cam.'s and full trim Trans-Ams. The best example, for me at least, is a completly decked out 68-82 Stingray(hey DZ notice correct spelling) Corvettes.

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201 :)
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>
members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/index.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am not gonna try to make my car more stable at high speeds or make the aerodynamics any better (i am currently restoring the car). i just want it to look good. dont get me wrong. it is gonna run good, but i dont plan on driving over 100 mph unless it is on the strip. i just want it to look good and mean.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
OK GUYS & GALS;

If someone saw/sees this again, make sure you get "THE PICTURE". A camera is a "MUST" when attending car shows, etc.

We will need this when going over 100 MPH!!!!! Know what we mean????? Our '69 E.C. is being built just for this type of HIGHWAY TRAVEL!!!!!

By the way, not to get off the subject, who has a ROLLBAR in a '68-'72 El Camino that you don't have to climb over, but will work in a rollover?

Richard and Judy White, MAXX2
Member 341

D

·
0 Posts
The air dam you're referring to mounts under the radiator, right? If so, I just picked one up at the bone yard off a '80 Malibu. I know that this isn't a performance vehicle, but it had the largest air dam I could find. I haven't installed it yet on my '70, but by just holding it up in place, it looks pretty mean. I've been told/read that these also help in keeping your engine temp down by not allowing warm engine air to re-enter the front of the radiator. Is this correct?
David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.