Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help: 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe. Have an opportunity to buy - would like to know more about. Been told 3 speed on the column, 6 cylinder - not much else. Would like to get some insight, anything I can get to better understand what I should be looking for in this car. (engine type, trans, etc..)
Thanks for the help

[This message has been edited by Big-gar (edited 11-15-99).]

[This message has been edited by Big-gar (edited 11-15-99).]

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
The 300 Deluxe is basically the lower end of the price line.the cheaper model.the no frills model.I have a 66 300 my grandma bought new.No carpet,radio,ect. just an auto on the column only option.They are probably the least collectable of the line but make great sleepers.
If you can get it for a good price,go for it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can tell you something to be real aware of and that's the body differences between Chevelles around the rear window and rear deck.

I've got a '67 300 sedan; I'm not sure if the differences I'm pointing out relate to whether the car is a coupe or a sedan or just native to the 300 model, but the rear window & moldings (possibly), lower rear window channel panel (definately), trunk lid (possibly) and tail lights (definately) are all different on a 300 sedan as opposed to a coupe.

I found this out the hard way; my rear window had lots of rust in the lower channel--so I ordered a repro panel that forms the channel for the window and the weatherstrip channel for the trunk lid.

The order guy never asked whether I had a coupe or sedan--and of course the panel wasn't even close. As it turns out, you can't get a repro panel for a 300 sedan--at least I couldn't find one, and I tried many places, including Year One's secret suppliers that they told me about.

Bone yards claimed to have the piece, but let's face it, it's so prone to rust, I figured what are the chances of getting a good one--and they wanted about $300 for one.

Anyway, that's no small problem if you have lots of rust in that area. I welded the crap out of mine, used epoxy putty, POR15 etc., and can only hope it is water tight, as it is the main source for water in the trunk, which rusted the trunk panels and lower quarter panels--so getting it fixed is pretty key.

And it made me wonder whether the rear glass was the same or if it too is different. I've seen lots of repro glass ads for rear glass, but now I wonder if they include the sedan, given the differences in channel shape I noted when I put the coupe channel in place.

I also had to replace the front pilar covers that form the verticals around the windshield--these I got no problem from a bone yard, but there was a lot of back and forth about whether it was a coupe/sedan--at first they picked those from a coupe, and before sending it realized the mistake and had to go back and find sedan parts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's harder to find parts for the old sedans. Look at the sheetmetal, especially around the windows, and take a real good look at the interior. Then check for availability on whatever you'll need to replace. We're still looking for correct replacement seatcovers for our front bench.

------------------
Jeff Schramm, Andover KS
'65 300 Deluxe 4-door L6
Member #283

[This message has been edited by JSchramm (edited 11-16-99).]

·
Registered
826 Posts
Man! I have NOT been checking in like I should! How did I miss this thread?
Big-gar, if you'd like to see a web page on the '67 300 Deluxe, then click on the link below in my signature.
For everyone else, let's see a list of how many of you have 300s, especially the '64-'67s (just because I'm partial to them!). I had no idea so many of you had these cars. They're COOL!
And flywheel, DIG that sleeper effect! You speaketh the truth.

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

·
Registered
162 Posts
Jeff: NOS cloth for 65 Chevelle 300 and 300-dlx seats is available from SMS Auto Fabrics 503-234-1175, at least in aqua. It's pretty spendy, I won't be going the route unless I hit the lottery or something. My car is a 65 Chevelle 300 4-door/L6, more sleepy than sleeper. Happy Thanksgiving --- Carl.

[This message has been edited by Carl Brune (edited 11-25-99).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks, Carl, for the information and for the heads-up email!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.