Chevelles.com banner

101 - 120 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I installed the rear suspension and got it on the scales. Total weight is 1365 with only 43.52% on the front, not too bad.

20190719_174817 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

20190719_173002 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

As I assembled everything, I weighed each part so I could see where the weight was coming from and also to help when it comes time to balance left/right/front/back. This is what I have so far:

Steering rack - 15lbs
Driver side upper/lower arms, spindle, C7 hub - 31lbs
Passenger side upper/lower arms, spindle, C7 hub - 31lbs
Coilovers (11lbs ea) - 22lbs
Rotors (20lbs ea) - 40lbs
Calipers & pads (8lbs ea) -16lbs
Wheels & tires (48lbs ea) - 96lbs
Front Suspension total - 251lbs

3 links & hardware - 15lbs
Watts links - 9lbs
Rear end housing assembly (no oil or axles) - 220lbs
Rear axles - 20lbs
Calipers & pads (8lbs ea) - 16lbs
Coilovers (11lbs ea) - 22lbs
Wheels & tires (51lbs ea) - 102lbs
Rear Suspension total - 404lbs

Chassis & cage - 710lbs

Total weight - 1365lbs

If you remember, after I first test fit the body to the chassis, I scaled it and it was 1875 lbs. None of the cage components were in it at the time but all the suspension parts were.

It will be interesting to see how much the body will add.

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I love that you are weighing everything. 220 lbs rear end without axles? That's a lot heavier than I would have expected.

Keep in mind this is a full floater and I weighed it with the third member and the entire brake/hub assembly installed. The only thing missing was oil and the axles, which are 20 lbs for the pair.

Once it's on the road, I intend to replace the iron third member with an aluminum one so that should help some.

:thumbsup:

Reactions: -SS454-

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
It looks like my last post was four weeks ago. Some things have happened since then.

The big mile stone is the body is back on the chassis to stay...

10134 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

10132 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

10133 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

10135 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

Those 315's look absolutely huge on there!

10137 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

And of course, I weighed it.

10136 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

So 2129 lbs includes the body, chassis, cage work, suspension, wheels & tires. Before I started the cage if you remember, it weighed 1875 lbs, which means all of the cage components only added 254 lbs. Another interesting thing, the chassis with suspension, wheels & tires, and cage weighed 1365 lbs. That means the body, which includes glass and all door components, but no hood, floor, front/rear fenderwells, or interior, added 764 lbs.

The only other thing I've done since the body went back on is to install the bumpers to help make sure everything is centered properly.

10138 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
While trying to free up some room in the shop, I decided to make an engine test stand using some of the old roll bar I removed from the Chevelle and scrap tubing left over from the new cage. It's not pretty, I just slammed it together and the only money I spent on it ($20) was a set of casters from Harbor Freight. All the other stuff that's bolted to it, I either had sitting on a shelf, or I bought it to go in the Chevelle.

This also gave me an opportunity to see how much the all aluminum big block actually weighs!

Test stand - 98 lbs
Engine on stand (no intake or TB) - 614 lbs

Since I already weight the bellhousing (30 lbs) and clutch assembly 43 lbs), I subtracted them from the 614, which put it at 443.

Then I weighed the Hogan intake and Holley throttle body (24 lbs) and now that gives me an engine weight of 467 lbs.

In the pic, the front accessories are in place and where during the weighing. The water pump & pulley (6 lbs), alternator, bracket, bolts, belt (12 lbs), PS pump, bracket, bolts, belt (5 lbs), and motor plates (4 lbs).

If my math is correct, just the engine from oil pan (includes 8 qts of oil) to intake, only weighs 440 lbs! I guess I don't need an LS to save weight! :D

10142 by Yelcamino, on Flickr

I haven't run it yet because I'm still getting all the little pieces like fittings, hoses, etc, in place. Once it's running, I'll post a vid.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Is it me, or does it seem the car will be a lot lighter than anticipated? 2129 lbs, then add interior, engine, transmission, fuel system, and some minor things.

I was thinking that too. However, once the engine and trans is in, I fill all the holes in with more sheet metal, plumbing, wiring, I'm going to add some insulation to the interior (it is a street car), and whatever else that needs to be installed, I'm starting to think it will be closer to 3500 lbs. :frown2: Hopefully I'm wrong!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What can you tell us about the air dam on the front?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
What can you tell us about the air dam on the front?

It's pretty basic, made out of aluminum, and feeds air to the front brake ducts. I'm changing the splitter so it reaches under to the front crossmember and has a more pronounced leading edge, which I think will make it more effective. That's about it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Herb you are doing a great job man!! I may have already asked this, but will you be at the Smokies event next month?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It's pretty basic, made out of aluminum, and feeds air to the front brake ducts. I'm changing the splitter so it reaches under to the front crossmember and has a more pronounced leading edge, which I think will make it more effective. That's about it.
I love the look of the air dam. I’ve toyed with one on my 66. How did you support it other than where it attaches to the bumper itself?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Herb you are doing a great job man!! I may have already asked this, but will you be at the Smokies event next month?

Thanks Jeff! The only other event we have on our calendar this year is Dino's Git Down in Phoenix in November. The plan is a road trip in the C10.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I love the look of the air dam. I’ve toyed with one on my 66. How did you support it other than where it attaches to the bumper itself?

Thanks! There is a bracket that follows the bottom contour of the bumper and is bolted to it. The front vertical part of the air dam bolts to that bracket making it removable. The sides of the air dam have one bolt into the bottom of the fenders. I have another center part of the air dam that puts the splitter closer to the ground for land speed racing.

101 - 120 of 162 Posts