Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy Jon has been working on this for a while now. Because of work schedules we usually don't get much time on it. He really did a very nice job to ensure that it looked "stock." Everything we do we want it to look like something that could have been done back in the day.

How cool would it have been to have ordered your car with Black rims, black chrome, and custom guage panels, etc... We got all the jumper wires done tonight. Slow process...a little at a time. :yes:

Premium Member
Cool addition...nice & clean! Looks racey, but not over the top!:thumbsup:

Registered
Nice work!

Registered
paint it up with some black krinkle paint and it will look even more stock.

Banned
It would look cool with the Stewart Warner "Green Line" series but that looks good too

You can take an old PLASTIC box like Snap-On tools, degree wheels etc come in and use a high build paint and use the section cut out of the plastic case to give it a "texture" look, so this to the primer you put over the etching primer, then paint it black

Registered
No offense but that doesn't look stock at all. Looks good, but it doesn't look like it could've been part of any factory option package. Maybe with the main panel painted black, the switch panel being silver around the perimeter, black in the "body" and DEFINITELY polish off the JEGS logo. How many screws and bolts in the interior have allen style heads? Should be phillips or hex (what's the proper term for the hex heads that you use regular wrenches on rather than allen type wrenches?). Some type of black face gauge, maybe the green-lines mentioned above.

Again, looks good and very nice fit and finish, but doesn't look "stock" or even "stockish" anymore than Moroso or AFR valve covers look like stock valve covers.

Premium Member
I like Novaderricks idea. Paint it with black wrinkle paint. Or you could cover it with black vynal. It would blend in better then. Looks good though.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the compliments and many of you missed the "idea." My rear suspension is the following:
UMI boxed lowers
UMI adjustable uppers
HRparts Anti roll bar
BMR lowering springs
Edelbrock trailing arms
12 bolt with 33 spline axles and full spool.

My point? It's considered "stock style" suspension. :thumbsup:

The guage panel was trimmed at the same angles so it would be a nice tight fit. The point was that if they had the same creative minds as they do today you could have ordered black rims, black chrome, and guage panels like I put in. Might have even been able to ordered it with a 540 big block or twin turbo small block. Like Davey said. Different but not over the top. ;)

Registered
plenty of race (and street) cars back in the day had panels just like that- they even bolted into the factory hole and used screws in the factory locations just like yours..
it looks nice and all, but not "stock" in any sense of the word and it's really nothing new.
it looks no more "stock" than the dash panel in my 84 Regal T Type that someone drilled 4 holes and mounted 4 gauges in back into it the day.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
plenty of race (and street) cars back in the day had panels just like that- they even bolted into the factory hole and used screws in the factory locations just like yours..
it looks nice and all, but not "stock" in any sense of the word and it's really nothing new.
it looks no more "stock" than the dash panel in my 84 Regal T Type that someone drilled 4 holes and mounted 4 gauges in back into it the day.

Maybe its just me but that is no where close to the guage panel we fabricated to fit exactly where the radio and air condtioning controls are. It's not a "cut out" and insert deal....but to each his own. :beers:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dig it man! I think it looks awesome. Maybe change the fuel pressure gauge to white?
Thanks. I think we are actually going to place the fuel pressure guage on the outside under my cowl hood. I am purchasing a LM1 Wideband and we think it might be better to place the guage there next to the panel instead of the fuel pressure guage. Easier to keep an eye on while driving around also. Plus, a whole lot safer with the fuel pressure guage on the outside. :yes:

Registered
Maybe its just me but that is no where close to the guage panel we fabricated to fit exactly where the radio and air condtioning controls are. It's not a "cut out" and insert deal....but to each his own. :beers:
nope- but they butchered the stock hard to find piece to do it. i'll trade my part with the gauges to anyone that can find me a stock piece to put in it's place so i can get rid of those gauges over there...
there is a company that sells aftermarket pieces for my car to mount gauges there, as well as a plate that replaces the heater/radio like what you did with different options for gauges and switch layout.
again, not saying yours looks bad- but it's been done before and doesn't look "stock"- but some krinkle paint or a plastic overlay with the stock pattern would go a long ways towards making it look stock.

Registered
Thanks. I think we are actually going to place the fuel pressure guage on the outside under my cowl hood. I am purchasing a LM1 Wideband and we think it might be better to place the guage there next to the panel instead of the fuel pressure guage. Easier to keep an eye on while driving around also. Plus, a whole lot safer with the fuel pressure guage on the outside. :yes:

I agree that the fuel pressure gauge on the outside is the way to go. Curiously, why the phantom gauges when everything else on the car is black, and grey/silver? (atleast I think it is, iirc)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts